Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magazine Publisher: We're looking to feature a Land Rover in an upcoming issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magazine Publisher: We're looking to feature a Land Rover in an upcoming issue

All,

I'm part of a mens lifestyle publication focused around a "lifestyle of cool". We're wanting to feature a Land Rover Defender (or possibly Range Rover, Discovery, etc) in an upcoming issue.

Send photos to jack at gmail.com if you think you're car is "cool enough"- we need high res, print ready photos to publish.

Thank you all! You will be obviously be credited.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey this sounds great... So besides a photo credit are we to be paid for allowing our photos to be published which you charge for advertising and I might assume subscriptions... Sorry to be frank. but as a professional Photog I am offended and would warn all who are looking to do send in photos for free. This is a paid scenario. While I do understand the "coolness" factor of having your rig published in a magazine Please understand that one usually gets paid for allowing their image (regardless of what it might be) to be printed in a magazine that not only has subscription rates but also charges for advertising. This person seems to be feeding on the desire to get your rig in their "cool living" mag for free. You can do what you want but in my world we demand payment or we kick then to the curb for bottom feeding. IF you are interested I can and will be happy to help you figure out a fee based on subscription rate and size of photo to run.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Also please understand that while many of you will send them photos with your name "they" now have implied permission to "use"your photos however they want wherever they want whenever they want. Typically WE "pro Photogs" agree to the terms of usage and have signed legal agreement stating exactly how, where, when and for how long an image may be used for. IF THE IMAGE IS USED OUTSIDE OF THESE PARAMETERS, they are in breach of the copyright infringement act of 1979. This is a felony charge. I have gone to court over this and NEVER lost. So if you do decide to send your photos in Please draw up a a document that states what you are allowing them to do. If you do not know let me know and I can get you a standard form. If you as them how it is to be used and they are not clearly defining their "intended Usage" Then I do stongly reccomend you walk away without letting them use your image.

Once again this is my opinion as a 20 plus year veteran photographer

Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do we get paid?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Winching

LOL, sorry... that's all I got.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems kinda suspect to me. If a magazine wanted to use your Rover in a shoot wouldn't they need professional photographers to do a real shoot and not have you send in a photo. That just my guess?

Last edited by bosshogt; 03-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RjBu
http://www.whereisthecool.com ?

For real?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackarcher

Really?

http://gentlemanslodge.blogspot.com/...ck-archer.html

Truly an American Gentleman...It would do you well to take a look at the manner in which you engage individuals outside of the Greek council
I apologize about the lack of clarifications and information in the original post and completely understand any concerns regarding providing media.

It's a free publication but ad driven. I've been in talks with the Land Rover press department and they will be providing photos for the magazine instead.

----

On another note, to the gentleman above- being casted in a negative light like you suggested I am isn't something I'm thrilled about but am curious as to why you think so little?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Had to look..thought I was at Discoweb. Nope.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Rock Crawling

I can get you a picture of a land rover DI with a bunch of bullet holes through the window. you could put that in your book...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Mudding

Magazine publisher? You would think he would at least know it's jack@gmail.com. Not jack at gmail.com. Suspicious.

Quick Reply: Magazine Publisher: We're looking to feature a Land Rover in an upcoming issue