Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magical disappearing coolant, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magical disappearing coolant, etc.

Hey all! My '01 just hit 103k. I've had it since 50k, and have taken darn good care, thanks to the advice on this fourm. I did Disco Mike's 60k service, and another full engine flush with ATF at 90k.

Over the last year, I've had a SLOW coolant leak. I could see dry bloblets of coolant on the tranny pan, oil pan, and here and there between the two. Never seemed to be much of an issue, as I stayed on top of ensuring the expansion tank had plenty of juice. I did experience the passenger-side gurgle once or twice, but a quick bleed resolved the issue for months at a stretch.

Last week, however, things changed significantly. For the first time *ever*, my temp guage came up from being 100% level to nearing the red. I pulled over and let the truck run, and things cooled down right away. Phew!

I got it home, things seemed fine. In the morning, I bled the coolant again, adding about 1/2 gallon of coolant. That's a LOT more than normal.

Having scoured the forum, it seems this isn't all that uncommon. Since I'm at 100k, i'm prepared to do a head gasket job, but would like to eliminate other "low hanging fruit" options.

A few questions:

-Am I on the right track here? Likely head gasket?

-What else should I check/test before I pull the trigger on the parts order?

-If so, is AB the place for the HG kit, as well as the head bolts?

-Is there anything else that I'll need for this job, including special tools?

-What, if anything, else should I do as long as I have the damn thing apart for the HG job?

-Any pointers on the relevant sections of RAVE?

Thanks!!!

-Brad

Last edited by bradbenz; 09-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a bottle of coolant dye in to pinpoint the leak (call napa will order). Don't jump to the conclusion that it is the HG.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Before you go stimulating the economy, do a coolant pressure test and verify for sure what is leaking.
If it is the head gaskets, yes A.B. is a good place to go, I would also go for a t/stat, new hose, especially if you still have the old bleed screw in the hose and not in the black plastic tee.
I would also suggest you buy some 8 mm wires, either STI or Magnacor from British Parts of Utah.
Let us know what you find/do.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Drifting

I'm just bracing for the worst regarding the HG swap. If I have to go there, I'm OK with that, as it seems to be a good idea to get the most life possible.

What's the best way to go about the coolant pressure test? Shop? Or can I buy/rent the requisite stuff to pull it off?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Some parts stores, rent the tester, need to make sure it has the adapter for a Rover, a radiator shop or go buy one as last choice.
Make sure that who ever does it that you run the pressure to 18 pounds or so and hold it for at least 15 minutes to find the leak.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bradbenz
I'm just bracing for the worst regarding the HG swap. If I have to go there, I'm OK with that, as it seems to be a good idea to get the most life possible.

What's the best way to go about the coolant pressure test? Shop? Or can I buy/rent the requisite stuff to pull it off?

Thanks!
You know you have a leak so the pressure test is a bit of an extra expense. Coolant dye cost a few bucks and it will be obvious where your leak is once you add it.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Drifting

My local former Schucks has the older radiator-cap-type pressure tester, but nothing that will work with the Disco, or much else past 1997 for that matter.

Radiator shop it is, then.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You know you have a leak so the pressure test is a bit of an extra expense. Coolant dye cost a few bucks and it will be obvious where your leak is once you add it.
I agree, wash the engine, add the dye and drive it for a day or 2 and then look for the "stain" from the dye.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Can anyone point me to a specific dye product? There seems to be a lot out there...

thanks!

-b

Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Any over the counter stuff that does not require a black light will do.
Make sure it treats 2+ gallons.

Quick Reply: Magical disappearing coolant, etc.