Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnecor throwing SES light

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnecor throwing SES light

04 Disco 2, 60,004 miles.
Replaced the plug wires with the Magnecor 8mm today, definitely screwedthe orderup the first time. Very Rough, got the Service Engine Light Soon Code. Fortunately, I had written everything down, etc. Went back through and made sure I had the right wires to the right cylinders. Got it all sorted out, running great.

I put in the "regular" Bosch Spark Plugs as I hadn't read the post talking about the "4 pole Bosch" as being very good. SES is still on. Is this just going to have to "work itself out of the system with a couple driving cycles? Or, is it because I didn't use the right plug. I only ask this because when I did the SeaFoam induction, it took a few days for the SES to turn off.

Thanks.

Jason

Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Magnecor throwing SES light

Your spark plugs are fine. You could have used the cheaper Champion plugs and still have been fine.
I would have to say that it will work itself out after driving it. Give it a week, if it doesnt go away then read the codes again.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How didchanging your plug wiresgo 04bludisco and how long did it take you?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, Good question. I had initially planned on 2-3 hours, but ended up running to 5. I am pretty familiar with engines, etc., having done many headgaskets, full rebuilds, etc. Ithink that if I had subtracted out the dumb things Idid,itwould have been 2 hours.

A couple issuses I ran into that caused additional time...all of which were self inflicted... intially I had a tough time getting the SAI pipes out.... my Tetris skills were challenged.

Second issue. I had a hard time getting the Magnecor's off when I snapped them into the wrong terminal, or when I had to change the wires to the slightly longer version. (again, self inflicted) took me a while to get them off nicely. (ended up using a very small pair of pliers from sears called 'RoboGrip' They are like miniature Channel Locks. Works better than the bent screwdriver as you can gently grip the boot)

Third issue. The wires on the opposite sides have slightly different lengths. When I was putting them up in the wire loom, I ended up finding out that I had to swap sides with a couple just to have enough slack in the line.

As mentioned, all these issues were self inflicted, but really just added more time to the whole procedure.

Things that saved me were taking a pencil and marking each cylinder above the spark plug on the valve cover. Just a good sanity reference, as once you have the coil pack sequence, it's straight forward.

Writing everything down in terms of the coil pack sequence. Having this website up with the comments by DeepBlueWater - https://landroverforums.com/m_41479/tm.htmwas invaluable.

I also had the RAVE CD up, but that wasn't really needed.

Not a terrible experience, and the glass of wine at the end made up for it a bit.