Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnecor wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: magnecor wires

johnnybob,

Yeah, I have that same dieselish knocking too, and it seems to be taking longer for it to go away . It bothers me because of the '03 oil pressure problems. The tech at the Louisville KY dealership rogered up on the fact that '03s have oil pump problems, and lots of time any knocking is from bearings in the oil pump going bad. He's pulled them out in 2-3 pieces sometimes. Don't get paranoid, lol but it is something I'm considering. My oil light came on for a couple of cranks after changing my oil, soI think I'm having problems building initial pressure. I want to think the screen may be clogged, and I have a sump gasket so I can pull the sump and inspect the screen. You have to pull the sump to change the oil pump tho, so I may change the pump out as well here soon... They cost 600 bones tho because it is part of the front cover,and thusyou have to drain the coolant and yank the water pump as well!

I had a chirping noise coming from the t-case area. I changed out my front u-joints, and it seems like the noise has decreased. Seems strange that it is still there, just fainter.The front shaft was causing vibrations tho because the vibrations are gone now, and maybethey have damaged a bearing in my t-case. Or, the rear u-joint could be worn as well. I don't think any of the drive shaft lube joints were lubricated well because the previous owner didn't take care of this truck mechanically.

As for your starting issue, yeah, post the sound. In that tenth of a second is there a whirring from the starter? Maybe you are missing a tooth or two in your flywheel. Don't jump to that conclusion though, that's just the first thing that enters my head.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my 8mm Magna-cores I noticed an improvement in acceleration on freeway onramps. The was the only real change I noticed, but they are definitely worth it if they help there.

Also, I have occasionally noticed a dieselish knocking noise when I first start up. Heard it from the driver's seat, could not hear it from outside the car. Scared the heck out of me the first few times; was afraid something serious was wrong. One morning I was not sure if I was hearing the noise or not because I couldn't hear well over the noise of the heater fan. Turned the fan off, the noise went away! Apparently I am loosing a bearing in my heater fan, or at least one ball has a flat spot. Whatever, it is not getting worse, and it is not my engine!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to pop off the manifold for the wire job I did the job in l less than an hour with a buddy just get right on top of er,, and draw a skymatic its all by touch ..LIke mike says be prepared for some shuffed knuckles .but its very doable..

Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Mudding

Ehoff, if you are having problems with the fan clutch, I recommend you change it. If it goes, it will blow shrapnel throughout your engine compartment.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How to access coils without removing manifold.

https://landroverforums.com/m_41479/tm.htm

Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For you guys with your start up knocks/noise, what oil filter are you using??

The following users liked this post:
golgafrinch (11-12-2014)
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM
ajh
Winching

If you notice a difference it's 1. in your head. 2. you were seeing misfires before. Don't discount the placebo effect and the level of comfort given when you 'feel' the results of spending more.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Mudding

Ehoff:
Oh, heater fan, my bad.

DiscoMike:
Well, it was a knocking, now it is definitely an intermittant sort of rattle in there. I'm getting my head under it with a buddy tommorrow. I'm starting to lean towards what the tech at the dealership told me, that bearings will come loose and start rattling around in the oil pumps on the '03s.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: ajh

If you notice a difference it's 1. in your head. 2. you were seeing misfires before. Don't discount the placebo effect and the level of comfort given when you 'feel' the results of spending more.
Don't be too sure, they work, they out last anything on the market and supply more voltage then a new set of factory wires for alot less money.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

Ehoff:
Oh, heater fan, my bad.

DiscoMike:
Well, it was a knocking, now it is definitely an intermittant sort of rattle in there. I'm getting my head under it with a buddy tommorrow. I'm starting to lean towards what the tech at the dealership told me, that bearings will come loose and start rattling around in the oil pumps on the '03s.
Don't waste any time, get your oil pressure checked, both at idle and at 2000 rpm's both cold and at operating temp, then start throwing parts at it before it is too late.

Quick Reply: magnecor wires