Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual mode does not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default manual mode does not work

I was reading a thread the other day back from oct. 2012 about sport mode getting better gas mileage and how in low range you hit the mode button for manual. I had never used it in low range so I thought I'd give it a shot. When I hit the button an "s" lite up instead of an "m" I hit the button several times, put the tc back in neutral then back in low tried again and the same thing happened. "S" I put the transmission in D,1,2,,3 and never got that "m" to light up. Can anyone give me some insight as to what might be going on? Or has anyone had the same problem?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Check to see if your hill descent works (provided you don't have the 3 amigos). Both the hill descent and "M" function look for the switch for low range to be made - could be a bad hi-lo detect switch.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you drive in low gear to be sure it was engaged in lo gear? did the audible warning and light go off indicating you were in low? you should not be able to get sport mode in low gear which is why im asking did you make sure that it was engaged in low... if so then i would do a few things. make sure the connection to the switch is not corroded and is tight. sits right under the button just pop the shifter **** straight up and then the tabs on the plastic shift assembly in and that pops up out of the way. then if that is ok i would pull the solenoid for the hi-lo engagment out. its 3 bolts near the pass side foot well. once that shift solenoid is out just be careful not to shift to lo while speeding around town or bad things will happen. finally clean and reseal your xyz switch.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

M mode only works in Lo range, and S mode only works in Hi range.

Do you have your owners manual still? This is all outlined in the manual.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I can definitely tell a difference in torq when low is engaged, but when in low and I push hcd, it chimes continually until I disengage the hcd. Is that normal? I've had no amigos for a year. X my fingers and knock on wood.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM

you mean hill descent control? HDC? no it doesnt chime constantly. the only continual chime would be if you have the TC in neutral. The HDC chimes two or three times when you turn it on and then stops. Something is wrong here.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Great, that's sucks. What would cause it to chime constantly, and could that be the same cause for the manual mode to not work?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Do you have a copy of the RAVE manual? It explains in depth how the system works. If i were u i would grab a multimeter and check to see if you have continuity between the two wires on the Hi-Lo Detect switch when you have low engaged. If that checks out, I would start testing the wheel sensors maybe one of them is not working properly. You don't have or have not had the three amigos on lately?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can't get to the h/l part because your truck is not sure it's in low causing ding ding ding ?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Where is the detect switch on lt230 with cdl? I read last night that the tc without cdl has the detect switch on the front output shaft. So does anyone no where it is and how easy it is to change?

Quick Reply: manual mode does not work