Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milkshake oil in rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milkshake oil in rear differential

When checking the oil in the rear differential, I found that it was almost empty so I added a quart. When I stuck my finger in the hole to check the level, I found that the oil looks like it has water in it. After looking around, it looks like oil is leaking out where the rear prop shaft goes into the differential. Could this also be the source of water or do I have two separate problems?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Mudding

Ya u may have a water jacket leak? Start rebuilding, took me six months to do mine, I waited on the machine shop to mill the heads, rework the valves and put new valve seats in. They are the best in the state so the wait was worth it.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Drain, it and refill. Check again in a few days; Also if you haven't cleaned out the axle vent tube be sure to do that, it can cause moisture build up if clogged.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ya I got stuck in a creek once for an hour and it flooded both my diffs with water. The 4 seals on the axle are the bearing seal (the one you described) , the 2 hub "O" rings and the breather on top of the axle.

If oil can get out, water can definitely get in.

Changing that seal will take a few hours the first time around and you will need a gear puller to get the assembly off if I remember correctly.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by evansjoem
Ya u may have a water jacket leak? Start rebuilding, took me six months to do mine, I waited on the machine shop to mill the heads, rework the valves and put new valve seats in. They are the best in the state so the wait was worth it.
What do the water jackets and heads have to do with milky differential fluid?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by evansjoem
I did not realize Nevada also legalized it.....

Forreal, do what bill said.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
What do the water jackets and heads have to do with milky differential fluid?
I think he read it too fast and thought he was talking about milky oil in the engine

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Drain, it and refill. Check again in a few days; Also if you haven't cleaned out the axle vent tube be sure to do that, it can cause moisture build up if clogged.
I am going to agree with this. Had same problem with front diff. The vent tube was clogged. I also have a slight leak on the right axle seal, if oil can get out.. other stuff can get in. Changes the front diff fluid twice in 1000 miles as kind of a flush. Cleared the tube.m. been clean ever since.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

change your fluids and check your vent, could likely be an axle seal they are designed to hold gear lube in not water out.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Rock Crawling

After looking for the oil seal I see there is a Proline and a Genuine. Is it worth the extra money for the Genuine or are the Proline a better deal?

Quick Reply: Milkshake oil in rear differential