Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misc. Ramblings, brakes, O2 Sensors, roof rack extensions and upper radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Misc. Ramblings, brakes, O2 Sensors, roof rack extensions and upper radiator hoses

So I bought another Discovery last week, a DII 2001 with 74k miles. got most of the service and repair records. Also talked with the shop that had done rear brakes and a head gasket job at 65k miles. I was very dirty, looked like it had been run on dirt roads with the windows down. Gave it a good washing and detail and it looks great except for a spot in the middle of the hood where the clear coat has faded.

Yesterday I tackled the front brakes. Other than a stuck driver's side rotor the job went well. Thanks to all of the posts here and a few other how to sites. Got the AB Ferado package.

On the way home from the purchase, literally 10 miles up the road, the Service Engine Soon light comes on, you can only imagine my delight. Checked the code, a front driver's side O2 sensor. Another purchase from AB, by the way, they are having a sell. $59 dollars and no 9% sales tax! Put it in after some words of love for the designers of the vehicle, just now are you supposed to get your hands in there to get the old one out and the new one in? Luckily had a 22 mm crowsfoot wrench from changing the O2 sensor on our Toyota Land Cruiser. Came out like butter. The electrical clip was another story. Finally got it out, it was the plug that was the issue, it was very difficult to access. Ny arms just dont bend except at the shoulder, elbow and wrist. They are also not 6 feet long and 2 inches in diameter....... Once out, rather than reinstall it on the metal finger attached to the block, I zip tied it to a support on the firewall. further from the heat of the engine and much easier to access if it ever goes bad again.

I noticed the waterfall sound on the passenger side of the dash so I decided to bleed the system. Followed the procedure detailed in the Sticky. Worked like a champ, right up to the time that I overtightened the bleed screw on the old style bleeder valve, don't do it.......Luckily, Land Rover Mira Mar was still open and had the updated three hose and t fitting in stock and waiting for me when I got there. Great customer service in the parts department, David was great to work with and was very knowledgeable and helpful on a number of items. Kudos!

Got the new radiator hoses installed and viola, it worked. Had some residual coolant smell, which still concerns me some. I plan on running it back to the shop that did the head gasket repair just to make sure all is in good shape. My thought is that with the bleed, the resevour was over filled at the end of the bleed process and the excess fluid has been draining out and dripping down on the pipes/cat on the passenger side. Time will tell.

Has anyone added the OEM roof rack extensions to a DII? I need to drill two holes at the back of each extension and I am just a bit reluctant to drill two holes in the roof of my new truck............

Next up, driveshaft rebuild, new headliner................... and hood repaint.

Thanks to all on this board that have been so helpful and the many posts that I have used for guidance. Could not have done it without it and you. Thanks again!

2001 DII 74k miles, (not getting the love it did before the DII purchase)
1999 DI 98k miles

Phil

Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your having fun with it!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we rover guys must be gluttons for punishment.