Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to improve MPG?

Hey all-

At $3.30+ a gallon in the US I know we're all crying all the way to the gas station. So, anyone performed any mods to their Disco that improved it's mileage? Mine's a bone stock 2001 Disco II and seeing 14-15 mpg which I'm guessing is average for mixed highway / city. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Mods to improve MPG?

well, i pay around 320 so yeah...downhill with a tail wind does the trick! its tough, no such thing as improve MPG, the tricks you can do will net like 1 mile every 5000...just dont accelerate fast..dont speed (i drive 65-75MPH on the freeway, and sit right below 16MPG, but if i went 55-65 id bet it would be over 16....) just take the gas pedal lightly...thats ALL you can do...

Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cost of doing anything to get better MPG is off set by the cost of the mod.
Now if you want to say get more power some mods will also get a slight improvement in MPG's.
I had mine ECU chipped and went from 12 to 13 mpg in town to 13 to 14 mpg, hwy was 15 mpg
and is now about 16 mpgs.
The down side to the chip is if you use the power you get less fuel economy and you have
use 91 or better octane. The cost is $500.
I have a magnaflow muffler that feels like it gave more power but if it gave more mpg it
was so small that I could not see it. Cost $200.
I am now looking at a snorkel for less dust, I was told that it will increase my mpgs a
little but I will wait and see. Cost $425
I think that if I changed my tires from BFG's AT it would do more than anything else,
thats not happening.
So $1125 can buy 340 gallons of fuel, the Chip will pay for its self in 30,000 miles
if I keep my foot out of it.
My other car is a VW diesel 40 mpg in town 48 hwy so when I need my LR I drive it,
and pay the price high as it is.
NHESS81 is right, slowing down is the best thing to save fuel.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So how many miles on your truck, what have you done tune up wise?
Mike

Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 PM
6th Gear

My Disco II is a 2001 model w/ apx. 86K on the clock. I've owned it for all of a week, (2 tanks of gas.) I changed the oil, aired up the tires, and checked the air filter (was clean.) That's all so far. Still working on getting a service history from stealership, think it will be okay. I bought it as a repo, but only one owner before me. Its very clean, no idiot lights, gut feeling is that it's pretty solid. Getting 14-15mpg mixed driving, no mad speeding. I realize my question on improving mpg is probably futile, but had to ask. Only a few concerns so far:

1. Gurgling behind dash, I saw lots of theories, any solid answers?

2. Noise sounds like a spring releasing under the vehicle, usually right after shutting engine off. Ideas?

3. I do the work on all the other cars I've owned. Loved the Bently manuels for BMWs, what do you recomend for Rovers?

Thanks, Luke

Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: shinyrover

My Disco II is a 2001 model w/ apx. 86K on the clock. I've owned it for all of a week, (2 tanks of gas.) I changed the oil, aired up the tires, and checked the air filter (was clean.) That's all so far. Still working on getting a service history from stealership, think it will be okay. I bought it as a repo, but only one owner before me. Its very clean, no idiot lights, gut feeling is that it's pretty solid. Getting 14-15mpg mixed driving, no mad speeding. I realize my question on improving mpg is probably futile, but had to ask. Only a few concerns so far:

1. Gurgling behind dash, I saw lots of theories, any solid answers?

2. Noise sounds like a spring releasing under the vehicle, usually right after shutting engine off. Ideas?

3. I do the work on all the other cars I've owned. Loved the Bently manuels for BMWs, what do you recomend for Rovers?

Thanks, Luke
Luke,
I wish you had'nt mentioned the gurgling noise, if you are lucy it is only low on coolant, if your'e not lucky, you may have a blown head gasket or at least a coolant leak. The noise is caused fro air trapped in the top end of then engine when a leak occurs. I would suggest you get it back to the dealer ASAP and have them do a pressure test and maybe a chemical test on the coolant system. If it is head gaskets, make them pay cause they aren't cheap.
For your other noise, do you have the SLS rear air bag system, if so that is where your noise is coming from and is a normal function needing no repair.
Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Rock Crawling

mods probably won't help much. What will make the biggest difference, is the same with most vehicles. tune-ups. replace the air filter with the oil filter. I do every 3k. tire pressure right. keep the foot on a diet. decrease the overall average speed by 10 mpgs. if on the highway windows up, a/c on. take out all unneeded things in the vehicle. more weight less mileage. keep fuel topped off. less vapor loss. better to fill in the evening. lower temp. The other mods if you think it will be worth it. the balance of air in and air out always applies. match intake, and exhaust flow.
I have a 96 disco with 130k. I average mixed at 18-19mpg. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

I run 30psi in the front tires and 36 in the rear. I use synthetic oil and change every 4,000mls. Change air filter evry other oil change. Run 93octane BP/Amoco or Chevron and not run it to hard and mostly hwy. getting 18mpg. Right now 99 Disco II with 65,000mls. on it...Just had the 60K service done at Land Rover.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
6th Gear

Having a light foot and anticipating lights and leaving space can increase your fuel economy by as much as 30%. However most people are far too impatient. If you don't mind a stiffer ride bump up the tire inflation to around 36psi.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

I tried the higher psi and it lite to have beaten me to death...rough roads round Macon[:@]The manual says 28 in front and 36 in rear. So I let some out up front and the ride was to my liking again.
I agree 100% on the anticipation thing it works

Quick Reply: Mods to improve MPG?