Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mold, lots of mold after leaving car for 5 month

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 02:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mold, lots of mold after leaving car for 5 month

Hi guys,
So I drove my beloved Disco 2 from North Texas to Seattle last year and had wonderful time driving it around. In October I decided to go back and work from our house in Texas. I was planning to be gone for a month or two and come back but ended up staying until now. Came back to WA and good mother of God. I have mold all over car. I mean looks like velvet covers on my seats. Took me 2 days to clean it with industrial mold remover. Now I have a sh*t ton of problems. My power locks work half assed - driver door opens, passengers not. My power seats don't move, my windows don't roll down. I can start the car and drive it, but thats about it. What do I do? How badly am I screwed? I'm about to remove elbow compartment and see how bad its inside. I imagine all corroded
I had no idea the car was letting in so much moist. Never had this problem in hot Texas sun.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 437 Likes on 297 Posts

park it back in Texas for a month....that should fix it...

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

Toss a rental dehumidifier in there for a few days. The Pac Nw is tough if you get any moisture inside. The temp changes will create a ton of condensation and make things worse.

Start on the passenger side and the BCU and all it's connections,and work your way out

If you have to leave it again in the winter toss RV silica packs in all 3 sections the huge ones it really helps and crack a window just a hair to allow air flow

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 05-04-2021 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Roont (02-11-2024)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

The senseless habit of rolling the windows fully up all the time.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

The PNW can really do a number on cars that just sit, especially ones that are prone to leaking. I do what Richard suggests- put a few RV moisture absorbers in the truck, it helps a lot. I hope after a good dry your problems sort themselves out.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Toss a rental dehumidifier in there for a few days. The Pac Nw is tough if you get any moisture inside. The temp changes will create a ton of condensation and make things worse.

Start on the passenger side and the BCU and all it's connections,and work your way out

If you have to leave it again in the winter toss RV silica packs in all 3 sections the huge ones it really helps and crack a window just a hair to allow air flow

Do you think I need to replace BCU and other electronic controllers or its still fixable some how.
Tossing humidifier is going to be a task since I have a condo and car is parked under covered space but I don't think there are any electric outlets there. damn.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:39 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

@Ivan_Drago well if runs and the heat works fired up and crank the heat to the floor vents, open a sunroof if the windows do not work. But need the heat and moisture to leave. Silica packs will still help.

Electronics will not be fried they may just need to cleaned up, it is not hard a bit of isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore and a fingernail emery board you may have to cut it down and you want thin ones
  • You need to remove the BCU
  • Clean the external connectors on the BCU side with a bit of alcohol and emery board. Use Alcohol to rinse - less is more
  • Open the BCU case to check the internals for any corrosion use a q-tip and alcohol to clean those up if required
  • Let it dry for an hour when you are done
  • Re-install
My bet is this will fix most of the issues

OOPs missed the plugs those are harder, you can try dipping then in alcohol to try and break down the corrosion some, then plug them into the BCU to break the stuff loose then re-dip and repeat. Very Important BATTERY DISCONNECTED

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 05-04-2021 at 01:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Ivan_Drago (05-04-2021), whowa004 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Ivan_Drago well if runs and the heat works fired up and crank the heat to the floor vents, open a sunroof if the windows do not work. But need the heat and moisture to leave. Silica packs will still help.

Electronics will not be fried they may just need to cleaned up, it is not hard a bit of isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore and a fingernail emery board you may have to cut it down and you want thin ones
  • You need to remove the BCU
  • Clean the external connectors on the BCU side with a bit of alcohol and emery board. Use Alcohol to rinse - less is more
  • Open the BCU case to check the internals for any corrosion use a q-tip and alcohol to clean those up if required
  • Let it dry for an hour when you are done
  • Re-install
My bet is this will fix most of the issues

OOPs missed the plugs those are harder, you can try dipping then in alcohol to try and break down the corrosion some, then plug them into the BCU to break the stuff loose then re-dip and repeat. Very Important BATTERY DISCONNECTED
Thank you Richard. Will post results when I get to do all this.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

Dealing with a car covered in mold after leaving it for 5 months can be quite a shock, especially when you're faced with various issues like malfunctioning power locks, seats, and windows. It's crucial to address these problems to get your beloved Disco 2 back on track.
Considering the extent of mold and the resulting issues, it might be a good idea to consider a black mold test. This can provide a comprehensive assessment of the mold problem, ensuring that you're aware of all the affected areas and the severity of the damage.
By taking proactive measures and getting a clear understanding of the situation, you can make informed decisions about repairs and maintenance.

Old 02-03-2024, 12:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinanywor
Dealing with a car covered in mold after leaving it for 5 months can be quite a shock, especially when you're faced with various issues like malfunctioning power locks, seats, and windows. It's crucial to address these problems to get your beloved Disco 2 back on track.
Considering the extent of mold and the resulting issues, it might be a good idea to consider a black mold test. This can provide a comprehensive assessment of the mold problem, ensuring that you're aware of all the affected areas and the severity of the damage.
By taking proactive measures and getting a clear understanding of the situation, you can make informed decisions about repairs and maintenance.
Jesus - Life is too short for AI to start spamming our message boards. Is that what this is?

Quick Reply: Mold, lots of mold after leaving car for 5 month