Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The morning clicking noise situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 10:21 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello Roverers,

Quick update on the "Morning Clicking Noise Situation"...after many days/weeks/months without daily clicking noise, it has resurfaced to its daily ritual in the past days/week.

It definitely does it on morning starts; on rare occasions in the afternoons, or after long drives and rest periods during the day.

Clicking noises are accompanied by gear indicator lights in shifter blinking in sync.

On occasions the "M/S" light goes on as if in limp mode, so I turn the truck off, and start it up again and they disappear, but clicking persists.

Clicking stops after 5 to 10 mins of car running, but today lasted even while driving, and I got to workplace, so nearly 20+ minutes; and indicator lights on shifter also blinking in sync.

I decided to check fuse-box this morning before driving to work, and found that clicking comes from one of the yellow relays in under dash fuse-box, the one that is identified by "window icons"; clicking stops when I remove that particular relay, but windows do go up or down even without that relay, so not sure why there's a "windows icon" on it, or how the relay should work.

There's another yellow relay below it, which is identified with an "engine icon", I did not remove it; but was thinking in switching them to see what happens, just not sure if these two relays are the same, and if I should swap them to try.

Not sure if clicking is because of a faulty relay, or if the relay is actually doing it's work, and preventing something else from happening; if so, what may be causing this particular relay to make the clicking sound.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

That sounds very much like the brake shift interlock solenoid. And the way it is sounding, it seems like a connection isn’t very good. I’d pop off that cover and maybe the center console and do some digging. Otherwise, I’m with everyone on the XYZ switch.

This is a good one I’ll be interested to see the resolution to.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (10-06-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

That clicking is more than likely the PRND321 interlock solenoid. The XYZ is probably just so slightly out of adjustment and it's thinking you're in/out of park. Check adjustment of XYZ by loosening the 2 10mm bolts and moving the XYZ in the opposite direction just a tiny bit, secure screws and test PRND321 operation and see if that stops. If it's worse loosen 2 10mm bolts and try the other direction. Also take note on what color your XYZ switch is. I've personally seen the newer black style act up vs the older original tan looking original units.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
That clicking is more than likely the PRND321 interlock solenoid. The XYZ is probably just so slightly out of adjustment and it's thinking you're in/out of park. Check adjustment of XYZ by loosening the 2 10mm bolts and moving the XYZ in the opposite direction just a tiny bit, secure screws and test PRND321 operation and see if that stops. If it's worse loosen 2 10mm bolts and try the other direction. Also take note on what color your XYZ switch is. I've personally seen the newer black style act up vs the older original tan looking original units.
Thanks BEST4X4, will take a look at what you suggest, but clicking is not coming from the interlock solenoid, it actually comes from the the big yellow R3 relay. Don't recall the solenoid clicking while gear shift lights are flashing, only if I press the brake to shift out of "Park", but I'll confirm tomorrow during morning start.

In the meantime, this is the updated list of issues I'm experiencing during morning starts...
  1. After being parked overnight, "clicking noise" starts as soon as Disco is started, so it seems to happen on cold starts;
  2. Along with "clicking noise", Disco have been starting up in "Limp Mode" (M & S lights flashing intermittently) occasionally, so I shut it off, restart it, and flashing M&S lights go off; flashing M&S lights have been present before, once when battery going bad, and first time with a grounding issue, but this time around seems to be related with the "clicking noise";
  3. Gear indicator lights on shifter flashes in sync with "clicking noise";
  4. While "clicking noise" is going on, I'm unable to shift out of "Park" when pressing the brake pedal, so I have to shift just between "clicks", when it pauses for a sec or two, so it seems to be affecting the function of the PRND321 interlock solenoid;
  5. If I remove big yellow relay in R3, "clicking noise" will stop, but it will come back when relay is reinserted;
  6. Swapped relays from R3 with R4, and "clicking noise" still active on R3;
  7. "Clicking noise" repeat frequency gradually slows down from clicking nearly every sec, to a few clicks per min after starting, then it would stop; initially within 5 to 10 mins after cold start, but lately I've heard it clicking occasionally up to when I arrive at my workplace, within 20+ mins of drive aprox;
  8. "Clicking noise" usually does not appear when I start my Disco in the afternoon when leaving work, or after initial morning start; and
  9. Definitely "Clicking noise" comes from big yellow relay in R3 position.

FYI, three fault codes are active, these are: P1590 (ABS related), P0420 & P0430 (Catalytic Converters related) ...these have been active for quite long time, so I'm pretty sure is unrelated, and Disco does run with a slight rough idle.

I will await for your feedback, thanks.

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 10-06-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:58 AM
Winching

Hello Roverers, this is today's update...
  1. Put in key ...turned to position 1 ..."clicking" started;
  2. Started Disco ..."clicking" present ...M&S lights started flashing 2-4 secs later;
  3. Turned Disco off ..."clicking" kept going, even without key in ignition for a few secs until it went off;
  4. Started it again ..."clicking" present again while key in position 1, and after start ...no M&S lights flashing now;
  5. Checked if brake lights were coming on while "clicking" present, as another member suggested to check, but they were not;
  6. While "clicking" is present, and pressing brake pedal to shift out of "Park", I notice that "interlock solenoid" click is louder than usual, regularly is a much softer click;
  7. Drove to AAP to have the battery & alternator checked, and their readings recommended that I replace the battery ...also, with Disco not running, alternator indicated 13v ...they suggested that I had a mechanic check alternator further before replacing battery, but either way to replace battery soon;
  8. Had mechanic next door to AAP, whom I know from previous jobs- check the alternator, and he confirmed it was working fine...with Disco running readings were within the 13.9s ...and with lights running, within the 13.8s ...so suggested alternator was running fine.
I think I will start by replacing battery, since in the past M&S lights flashed when battery needed replacement; hopefully "clicking" will go away after that; if not, I'll just keep looking.

Let me know your thoughts based on this new input, thanks!

​​​​​​

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 10-06-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:53 PM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

Hello Roverers!

As per the CLICKING SITUATION, it is still ongoing, no matter the time of day or if Disco has run or no. It is intermittent and persistent. Although battery diagnostics at AAP recommend replacement, it has never needed a jump since diagnostics, or given issues at start. I did replace the negative cable with a new one from Atlantic British a few months ago because connector to battery post lost its grip and came lose too often, besides seeing green in filaments. Clicking comes from both yellow relays in under dashboard fuse box -one is linked to up/down window icon, the other to the engine); if window's removed, clicking is still present but minimized, if the engine's relay removed, the Disco shuts off and clicking ends. I feel that when all lights are on at night, clicking minimizes, but still intermittent and persistent. Activating windows and locks is erratic when clicking is present. I hadn't update you all before since I have some other issues at hand, but this one is an old one that needs to be taken care of. I'll await any feedback on this issue as well, thanks.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Have you looked at the wiring diagram? Is the cycle controlled by the relay activation circuit? trace upstream from there.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Extinct
Have you looked at the wiring diagram? Is the cycle controlled by the relay activation circuit? trace upstream from there.
...no I haven't EXTINCT; I just downloaded the manual and will look into it tomorrow, thanks.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:11 PM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

Hello Roverers! ...just wanted to let y'all know that I've been unable to troubleshoot further these past days due to work and holidays get-togethers. Clicking still present, nothing has changed, but do have a couple new videos where you can hear the clicking, and what happens when different things are in use in case it helps understanding the issue better. I've been browsing through the electric diagrams and manual, but I'm having a hard time determining which part to focus on or making actual sense of all -I still need to do some serious reading. I'll keep you posted when vids get uploaded. Happy Holidays! ;-]#