Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Fairbanks Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:19 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Fairbanks Need Help

new owner 2004 Land Rover Discovery II 170 thousand miles car is in Florida with GF. am in airforce on temp assignment in Sao Paulo (dont ask) leaving 2 weeks then 2 weeks leave in Miami then going to Eielson in Fairbanks Alaska for 12 months or more long story. I don't want to go but orders are orders and am excited to live so far away. it's only 12 months and my GF is coming with me off base.

so long story short the average temp is -16 below zero and gets -50 below in winter. this car is coming from Miami where it was almost 100 this summer.

Can you guys tell me step by step what i need to put in the Rover or change out? Cover up the radiator? change the thermostat? any additives ?

just talk to me like a newbie and tell me. i trust your advise and will do what you say. Thaxs for the help.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 738 Likes on 620 Posts

Does it have a block heater? You will at minimum need that.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:23 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Does it have a block heater? You will at minimum need that.
it has heated seats

Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

heat and A/C yes

Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 738 Likes on 620 Posts

Well thats a plus! But a block heater, aka frost plug heater, would be a good upgrade. And a good time to maybe descale your cooling system and get nice new antifreeze in there.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:30 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Well thats a plus! But a block heater, aka frost plug heater, would be a good upgrade. And a good time to maybe descale your cooling system and get nice new antifreeze in there.
where to buy that? is that the only thing? u have a checklist?

Old 10-28-2019, 03:04 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could help mate but Melbourne doesnt get that cold ! Does your Rover got the active cornering system? You might need to add something to all the fluids. Probably need a special thermostat. Def more Anti-freeze. Antifreeze in the window cleaner tank too. Maybe a front cover to block the cold air. Like a mosquito net without holes? - 50 below zero. Fairbanks is next to Kris Kringle's house yea ?

Old 10-28-2019, 06:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

30 below is where regular antifreeze starts to crystallize. I would suggest mixing your own to a higher concentration than 50/50. The engine block heater is also a must, and I would recommend you get an oil pan heater as well.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

This is pretty easy :
  • Block heater is a very good idea
  • Oil pan heater is 50/50 if you have a good block heater it is not generally required
  • Oil change will be required -cold weather grades generally 5/30 according to the RAVE for down to -20
  • Anti-freeze should be changed out - check recommendations for northern environments usually 50/50 is sufficient of a good anti-freeze. Going to higher concentrations can impair engine cooling
  • Battery replaced if it is at all doubt full
  • Wiper blades replace with cold weather units
  • And real snow tires - possibly studded

Old 10-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Check that your throttle body heater is working and circulating coolant (warm coolant actually heats throttle body). Sometimes people plug or bypass this if it leaks. A small coolant hose leads from passenger side to under air intake hose from air cleaner to throttle on intake manifold.

Also, at those temperatures you could block off part of the radiator and any transmission coolers, etc. so it doesn't take forever to warm up.

Quick Reply: Moving to Fairbanks Need Help