Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must. Do. Brakes. NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must. Do. Brakes. NOW!

Okay so my dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree (three amigos...but I get the added bonus of hill descent as well).

I'm assuming it's time to do my brake pads and my front rotors.

I'm looking at this kit:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9991D2.cfm

I'm seriously strapped for cash right now, but I want to stay safe on the road. Will this do? And, when do I flush the brake fluid...after I change them?

I'm going to attempt to do this myself...okay stop laughing. No seriously...stop laughing. C'mon!

I've read the thread with the brake bleed...I just need to know when to do it. I think my jack might be shot, but I live next to a Vintage VW project repair shop...hoping they have some car jacks that will hold up my truck while lil ol' moi is underneath.

I'm ready! Tell me how to do it boys!!! Please <gulp>.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will Tillery (roverguy.com) has a similar set as the AB brakes for $285 shipped for the whole shebang, front and rear rotors and pads. I'm not sure what he wants for just the fronts. You can't really beat the price. Brakes are very easy, here is an idea how to do it:

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/brakes.html

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnelieseMae
Okay so my dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree (three amigos...but I get the added bonus of hill descent as well).

I'm assuming it's time to do my brake pads and my front rotors.

I'm looking at this kit:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9991D2.cfm

I'm seriously strapped for cash right now, but I want to stay safe on the road. Will this do? And, when do I flush the brake fluid...after I change them?

I'm going to attempt to do this myself...okay stop laughing. No seriously...stop laughing. C'mon!

I've read the thread with the brake bleed...I just need to know when to do it. I think my jack might be shot, but I live next to a Vintage VW project repair shop...hoping they have some car jacks that will hold up my truck while lil ol' moi is underneath.

I'm ready! Tell me how to do it boys!!! Please <gulp>.
You still have my number, call me.....

Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well Annie, being strapped for $$$ you can just put pads on the truck and not do the rotors.
Unless the rotor are warped or have deep groves in them I would just go to NAPA and buy the best brake pads they offer.
I bet you can do both fronts and rears for under $150.
Then you can start saving your money for a complete rotor and pad set for later.
Replacing the pads is easy, remove the wheel, remove the caliper, remove the brake pads.
Now you will need a large C-clamp, put one of your old pads back onto the caliper and using the C-clamp slowly open the caliper back up as far as it will go.
Now install your new brake pads, install your caliper, done.
Repeat this at each wheel.
Once all four wheels are done you will need to pump the brake pedal several times to get the pedal firm again.
As for when to do the fluid flush, I would do it after you are done with everything else.
Just do one thing at a time.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Well Annie, being strapped for $$$ you can just put pads on the truck and not do the rotors.
Unless the rotor are warped or have deep groves in them I would just go to NAPA and buy the best brake pads they offer.
I bet you can do both fronts and rears for under $150.
Then you can start saving your money for a complete rotor and pad set for later.
Replacing the pads is easy, remove the wheel, remove the caliper, remove the brake pads.
Now you will need a large C-clamp, put one of your old pads back onto the caliper and using the C-clamp slowly open the caliper back up as far as it will go.
Now install your new brake pads, install your caliper, done.
Repeat this at each wheel.
Once all four wheels are done you will need to pump the brake pedal several times to get the pedal firm again.
As for when to do the fluid flush, I would do it after you are done with everything else.
Just do one thing at a time.
Real world advice, from the master... Just pad-slap it baby!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes are a pretty easy job on a D2. I think the calipers are a 12mm and to bleed them is a 10mm. I haven't done them in a while but that should be right. You will also need a caliper tool or c-clamp to push the piston in. One tool that I didn't have was a impact driver. You will definately need one of these if you are replacing your rotors.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
I dont speak Disco II but if the brakes are anything like a DI then the following is true.

If you do your Rotors, the most difficult thing about it other than following the directions in the Rave Manual is repacking the bearings with grease.
Unfortunately (for DII owners who get bad bearings) you don't need to pack the DII's bearings with grease.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Real world advice, from the master... Just pad-slap it baby!
EXACTLY!!
Why replace parts you dont need to? Especially when your broke.
I do it to my work van all the time, new NAPA Severe Duty pads every 4 wks and new rotors once a year.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um...my rotors have a pretty good lip on them, but just in the front. I do a number on my front brakes working on the side of a mountain and all. I'm guessing I should replace the front rotors...

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
TReK

Like I said call Will Tillery (roverguy.com) 434-251-9331. You can get all 4 rotors and pads for $285 shipped so I assume the front rotors and pads will be around $150 shipped or less. Sure you can just do the pads but if you need new rotors you need new rotors especially if you want to get rid of the 3 amigos.

Quick Reply: Must. Do. Brakes. NOW!