Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mechanic can't fix her, sooooo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave03S
what happens when you put the transfer case in low and actuate the hill descent control?

In an open area away from traffic at low speed of course...

It could just need a better bleed job, I know i found it difficult to fully bleed the brakes after doing new pads.

One of the tricks is to run the ABS modulator to get the fluid through that system, then you have to bleed again, and repeat as necessary.

One way to activate the ABS without hot wiring is to use the Hill Descent Control.
I'm going to run out here and give that a try...I've definitely heard it is hard to bleed these here trucks

Old 04-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Coming down my street, felt like emergency brake was on, rear tires were smoking. Was able to go in reverse and stop with brake pedal, but not forward
If rear brake's smoking, has nothing to do with E-brake, because E-brake locks the rear driveshaft not the rear brake's,,, maybe your rear calipers were locked up, what did mechanic say before attempting to change brakes,?
If he took out calipers perhaps he drained lots of fluid & that's why you have air in ABS pump,, as others said you need to activate ABS pump & bleed it, also as suggested get a icarsoft i930, it is excellent investment , it can activate ABS & if you are planing on keeping Disco for a while it will pay for itself over & over, & you will use it a lot,,, one of best little OBD2 scanners for land rovers for the price,,,

The following users liked this post:
MysteeklRover (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
If rear brake's smoking, has nothing to do with E-brake, because E-brake locks the rear driveshaft not the rear brake's,,, maybe your rear calipers were locked up, what did mechanic say before attempting to change brakes,?
If he took out calipers perhaps he drained lots of fluid & that's why you have air in ABS pump,, as others said you need to activate ABS pump & bleed it, also as suggested get a icarsoft i930, it is excellent investment , it can activate ABS & if you are planing on keeping Disco for a while it will pay for itself over & over, & you will use it a lot,,, one of best little OBD2 scanners for land rovers for the price,,,
He replaced rear calipers, pads, and axle seal

Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Mudding

I'm thinking it needs a good bleed however he said he tried everything....even used scanner. Scanner says pressurize system

Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If your rear brakes are smoking, it could be caused by a bad wheel bearing. This happened on my 2004 Toyota Sienna just two weeks ago on the front brakes. I ended up changing pads, rotors, hubs, and bearings. It wasn't cheap but my car works now. The bad bearing causes the wheel, hub, and disc to move towards the caliper bracket, causing it to smoke at high speeds.

Check for a bad bearing by jacking up the car and shaking the wheel at 9 and 3 o clock then at 12 and 6.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Oh jeeze. Advice : get a better mechanic. You don't need Mr Amature messing around w "hotwiring" your brakes.
Agreed, hopefully you can find a better local certified technician

Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I had to bleed and rebleed several times to get all the air out. My helper could not believe it when I kept saying, one more time.

Of course your mechanic followed the proper bleed sequence and procedure?

There is one.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I had to bleed and rebleed several times to get all the air out. My helper could not believe it when I kept saying, one more time.

Of course your mechanic followed the proper bleed sequence and procedure?

There is one.
What'd that sequence and procedure? I'm going to give it a try soons my help arrives...just to be sure...mechanics in his feelings and not answering though when I asked the first time he said 'the old fashion way'-pump and bleed I'm assumin . . .which would be why I demanded m truck back

Old 04-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Mudding

He says he found water down in master cylinder also

Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Need a code for that abs pressurize. Never heard of that. Did the brakes work before? And why calipers?

Quick Reply: My mechanic can't fix her, sooooo