Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My nipples fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Going under tomorrow to milk mine, could use a photo too.
Inversely, when I do I'll try and take a shot if I can find them.
Please. Get a few shots starting from the generalized area with reference points and work your way in with a couple of more, if you don't mind

Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I just remember mine were further up than I thought. Took a few tries to find them.

Not clogged. Dry. Didn't extend though. Meant to do that.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Please. Get a few shots starting from the generalized area with reference points and work your way in with a couple of more, if you don't mind
Here are some pictures of removal.

I messed up! I took out the whole tube! The second video is the fix.

Here is what I took out. That tube on the left shouldn't have been taken out.

Name:  IMG_20150817_223617.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  244.7 KB

Here is how I did it. I am not a videographer! I use a blackberry! The grease is from a driveshaft diagnosis!

Here is the fix. In the middle of this I figured out that someone had tossed my truck looking for money. I guess I have to start locking my doors.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-18-2015 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chubbs878 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The two non return nipples are there for deep wading to stop water ingressing into the A/C drip tray. If you never go wading there is little point keeping them. Don't throw them away as you may find the pipe blocks up with road muck etc in any event whether wading or not. IMO I would extent them downwards with clear neoprene tubing, say about another 6" and face the outlets towards the rear of the truck with zip ties.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The two non return nipples are there for deep wading to stop water ingressing into the A/C drip tray. If you never go wading there is little point keeping them. Don't throw them away as you may find the pipe blocks up with road muck etc in any event whether wading or not. IMO I would extent them downwards with clear neoprene tubing, say about another 6" and face the outlets towards the rear of the truck with zip ties.
I'm going to find some tubing that matches the nipple tubing today and try it out. The passenger one is in a very HOT spot, so I was thinking some kind of hose akin to radiator/heater hose.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Looked for them, couldn't find them. Hoping the video's help…

Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah! Video does look helpful. Back under I go.
BTW Charlie, that underside looks amazing — I'm guessing you don't live somewhere that they salt the roads.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Ah! Video does look helpful. Back under I go.
BTW Charlie, that underside looks amazing — I'm guessing you don't live somewhere that they salt the roads.
Thanks. I live in Texas. No salt and I keep an eye on the underside. Also I wipe it down with gear oil once a year. I'm real lucky... zero rust. I am picky about that AND NOTHING ELSE. In fact, I already wiped all of that grease off.

And it helps that I always have a small oil leak. Haha

Sorry about the crappy video.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-18-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Camel Trophy

I just left a pretty good auto parts store and they did not have vac hose that would fit. The search continues.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Charlie, do you have a micrometer to measure the diameter you need? I have only massaged my nipples to remove the buildup in years past, and have yet to become as masochistic as you and completely pull them off... so I am only assuming you are looking for a hose with a certain outside diameter (OD) to force up inside? Or are you looking for a hose of a certain inside diameter (ID) to fit over something?

When I read you just left a pretty good parts store, I was going to recommend when going to a parts store: Always look for the guy whose shirt is dirty, needs a shave, looks like he might have slept on a shelf in the store the night before, and appears to be perpetually disgruntled....then make a bet he can't find what you need... then I realised I was describing myself. I am that guy.

Get me measurements, and I will find a suitable hose.

Quick Reply: My nipples fell off.