Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my observation normal????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my observation normal????

I was underneath my, new to me, 2003 disco this morning checking to see if my front drive shaft had upgraded the u joints. To my surprise, the entire front drive shaft was fairly new. BUT the u-joint closest to the front had the grease (zirk) fitting. The u joints on the front drive shaft to the rear of the car , 2 of them, are not of the type with zirks. WTF, someone went through the trouble to replace the driveshaft and not use one with updates u-joints. Has anyone experienced this? I'm happy this was addressed but dissapointed it was done wrong.

I am looking to tackle a few items on my list, I have a RAVE CD, but any extra tips on the following would be appreciated:
Front Brake Rotors
Steering Damper
Rear window washer fluid pump - assuming there is only one fuse for both pumps?
I recently read a thread on the location of the seat heater relay/circuit, can someone point me in that direction - I cant find it again.

Thanks for the endless reading.

Randy

2003 DII SE , Java Black - 105K

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: is my observation normal????

While the rear u-joints can fail they are not a problem like the double cardon joint on the front driveshaft.
As you know when the double cardon fails it wipes out your $7000 transmission, when the rear one fails it will give you warning. And if it breaks altogether then you will justr need a tow and a new u-joint. Not such a big deal.
As for the butt warmer...I do not know.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: hag1128

I was underneath my, new to me, 2003 disco this morning checking to see if my front drive shaft had upgraded the u joints. To my surprise, the entire front drive shaft was fairly new. BUT the u-joint closest to the front had the grease (zirk) fitting. The u joints on the front drive shaft to the rear of the car , 2 of them, are not of the type with zirks. WTF, someone went through the trouble to replace the driveshaft and not use one with updates u-joints. Has anyone experienced this? I'm happy this was addressed but dissapointed it was done wrong.

I am looking to tackle a few items on my list, I have a RAVE CD, but any extra tips on the following would be appreciated:
Front Brake Rotors
Steering Damper
I recently read a thread on the location of the seat heater relay/circuit, can someone point me in that direction - I cant find it again.

Randy

Steering damper takes minutes to replace, EASY job to do....

Front brakes, not hard to do and this should help a "bit"

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/brakes.html

Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Spike, I think he was talking about the double cardon, he just didn't know what it was called. Yeah, I can't imagine why someone would go through all the trouble to replace the entire driveshaft and not upgrade the u-joints while it was off the truck already. I would definitely get that taken care of as soon as possible. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can probably do it yourself for less than $100.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Drifting

Thats right RC, the double cardon did not get the zirked upgrade. I have access to a variety of presses, I assume this is how I will have to go about this procedure. I had one go in the front of an old K5 blazer that snapped the yoke what a bear to replace.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you RC, I miss understood his post.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: hag1128

Front Brake Rotors
Steering Damper

Randy

One thing you must never do with a Rover is assume, there are 2 fuses, #19 for the front and #30 for the rear.
At your mileage, you should be looking at shocks and springs if you plan to use it much off the road. As for the stabilizer, use only an Old Man Emu replacement for best results.
How are you getting your brak parts from, don't buy thru your local auto parts store the results are usually not good.
Yes, someone screwed up and replaced, instead of rebuilding the shaft, least you have some time on when you should get it rebuilt.
What are you planning on doing to get your maintance current, need any direction?
Mike

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If the dealer replaced the d/s it still won't have the zerks in the double cardon. If they did start replacing them with the zerk, anyone who has lost a tranny from a failed d/s would be all over LR as it would show they know about the problem. Even though it's a newer d/s, I'd still get it rebuilt asap. Over time you may forget about it until it's too late.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If the dealer is current on his inventory, the 04 replacement shaft now has all the grease fittings.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Vehicle was serviced at dealership. I will be replacing them next week. I live 30 min from Atlantic British, and exclusively use parts from them. I hate to say this but the disco is the swim-mom's grocery getter. No off-roading for her.

I will be performing the complete 60K service as described in many threads and defined by Mike. It actually sounds fun and gives some piece of mind as well.

FWIW.......... I have posted advice/help messages on other car forums - BMW, VW, Toyota and this is the most communication I have received from any. Thanks to all.

Randy

2003 Disco SE

Quick Reply: is my observation normal????