Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is my Land Rover totaled?
Yes, move on
91.43%
No, there is still hope
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Is my rover totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is my rover totaled?

Judging from the pictures attached would you say my rover is totaled?
2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II...
My Baby...

Unfortunately insurance is not an option as we just recently lowered our coverage.

I am on my own to either fix or replace the vehicle.

Should I just move on or do you think its at all possible/worth it to fix?

Just in case you can't tell from the pictures - the air bags did deploy.

If I scrap it and sell the parts does anyone have any recommendations on highly sought after parts? The tires and rims are still in great shape and the tires are relatively new so obviously I will sell those. Anything else in particular I should be removing and selling?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Thumbnails Is my rover totaled?-dsc05994-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc05995-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc05996-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc05997-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc05998-400.jpg  

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll end up putting more into the truck to repair it than it's worth. Sorry man. What happened?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 PM
5th Gear
Unhappy More Pictures

A few more pictures...

Attached Thumbnails Is my rover totaled?-dsc06003-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc06000-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc06008-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc06014-400.jpg   Is my rover totaled?-dsc06018-400.jpg  

Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AK Rover
You'll end up putting more into the truck to repair it than it's worth. Sorry man. What happened?
No problem... I kind of figured that would be the general consensus.

Basically I was driving on a 40 mph busy city road and 5-6 young kids were playing in and around the street having a lemonade stand. By in the street I mean the very narrow bike lane. Anyways, I saw them playing there and was looking to the right for too long when a few of them started running towards the street and looked like they might run further into the street.

So, as I was looking to the right I did not notice the lady in front of me in a Ford Excursion had stopped at a red light. I saw her several hundred feet ahead of time but even though I slammed on the breaks it wasn't soon enough. I turned to the right to avoid a direct hit and was successfully able to avoid hitting most of her car. However, I did still hit the passengers side of her rear bumper with the drivers side front of my land rover. My airbags deployed immediately.

The weird thing is that it feels like the breaks didn't work properly.
I slammed the brakes down and we didn't seem to slow down. Its probable that it just happened faster than I could react but I don't remember us ever slowing down and I there were no skid marks. I have been meaning to have my brakes checked recently - it seems like we just weren't slowing down fast enough in any situation.

We had a lot of momentum... even after hitting her truck we still managed to roll another 25 feet past her.

Thankfully, aside from a bit of glass and some bad scuffs from the air bags everyone was OK - everyone had seat belts.

He car is for the most part undamaged aside from a dent in her rear bumper (at least that is all that was visible).

But regardless if the brakes were working properly or not it was still my fault for looking to the right for too long.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Mudding

PART IT OUT, otherwise if you dont wanna do that, sell the car the way it is. Cars worth around $5000 in clean shape, so def not worth it. Just looking at the pics, it needs: Hood, fender, both headlights, radiator, radiator core support, front bumper, car needs to be put on a frame machine, many misc. components under the hood, grille, A/C condensor, both AIRBAGS, Airbag control module, air intake housing, radiator fan, possibly alternator and pullies .... etc

Last edited by VikingDiesel; 05-13-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, sorry to hear about this. You wont see long skid marks with anti-lock brakes, rovers are just heavy and hard to stop. I always get nervous when I drive by kids running around on the side of the road. Cheapest and easiest thing would be to part it out and buy another rover.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Mudding

Buy another one and then take all the parts off you want then part it out.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Parting it out is for sure the way to go here. E-bay and craigslist are great places to unload stuff... For sure sell the engine, transfer case, tranny and diffs. You will make enough off of those alone to get another cheap one. Another option is to find one with a blown motor and drop your in. When I got mine, I got another with a bad tranny for $700 the same week. I kept the diffs and sold it for the engine for $1500. Now I have a D2 and am waiting on the dang recession to end so my wife will let me get a 4.6 to drop in.

Heck, put parts on here in the classified section.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear
Angry

Damn dude!!! You're truck's bent

Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about that parting it out. Do you have space to keep it for a year or more without the neighbors, wife, city, etc. complaining? What are you going to do with the hulk when the part orders slow to 1 a month? Do you have time to run to UPS everytime you need to ship something?

Quick Reply: Is my rover totaled?