Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myth Busting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
I would think that could be a tricky question and would like to try to give my insight, if it comes standard in a land rover you would say it is a "land rover made engine" even though that may be wrong, I would assume the BMW remark came from the fact that quite a few years (I believe mid to late 90's) BMW owned land rover and did use some of there engines in some models, and then bought by Jaguar later on although I don't think they used any of there engines. I may be pointing out facts that everyone already knows (and also may be a little off with some of this but I think its all correct) but yes I was always under the belief that was a Buick motor (I didn't know it was a really old motor that was reworked though!)
the only v8s that i know of from BMW were put into the newer style range rovers.
they used they used the same 4.4L engine as the e38 BMW 7 series from 1995-2001 (M62).

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think the confusion comes in with the Bosch engine, although it was made by Rover the engine management, which is the ECU, and the intake plenum, was made by Bosch and people assume that because BMW owned LR for a short time and used the Bosch system, which is a German company, they think it is a BMW engine.
When the fact of the matter is that the 4.6 uses the same engine block and heads as the 3.9 from the early Disco's.
The only real change from the engine is what bolts on top and the guts.
Mercury used it as a inboard boat motor for yatchs and the like because it was very light and very reliable.
Rover descided to use it for the same reason, very light and VERY reliable.
It is not under powered, you just need to know how to use it, like any tool, it is useless in the wrong hands.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the motor is perfect for a vehicle that belongs off road. It is so perfect that there aren't high performance after market parts available for our application like there are for other 4x4's. (not talking about MG) . We don't need to add anything to our engines to make our vehicles any better off road. ALL our performance enhancing parts are suspension, drivetrain,brakes, etc. OUR Engines, Transmissions, and Transfer cases don't need anything.

RIGHT?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Right. I agree 100%.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

absolutely. that's exactly why the only time you see our rigs with really high horse power engines, you usually end up looking at something so heavily modded you can't even call it the same thing.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Mudding

Oh yeah, my rover is unstoppable on the trail. I can out power just about anything out there... and do it with style.

Brian

Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
absolutely. that's exactly why the only time you see our rigs with really high horse power engines, you usually end up looking at something so heavily modded you can't even call it the same thing.
like this

http://toddcosuspensions.com/todi.html
But if i wanted a rig like this, i would be on a jeep forum.

imagine this in your disco
http://toddcosuspensions.com/landrover50ho.html

I personally WANT people to know what I drive is a Land Rover no questions asked. Unfortunately a local islander has a 2001 TD5 110 Defender and i talked to him one day and while looking at my DISCOVERY he asked if that was a Range Rover...

I haven't talked to him since.. and I am secretly planning how to "borrow" his D110.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
"blue printed , balanced"

I like how those terms have lost all meaning to most people, yet are used to sell aftermarket crap or in an attempt to impress dullards about a motor.

Your original motor was blue printed (built to a plan) and balanced (as are all motors made in the last several decades).

Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

i thought maybe it meant blue printed as in mapped to an ECU to run.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
All Rover V-8's started from the Buick 215 that was built in 1959 and has been reworked over the years ending with the 4.6.

wow! Thats high tec! That explains the no horsepower.lol

Quick Reply: Myth Busting