Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 12:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Need advice ASAP!

Yesterday I was driving my Discovery II, and I noticed the Engine temperature started crawling up to 210. Then eventually 220... Then eventually I got a warning it hit 225 and within the next 30 seconds (was going up a mountain road) it hits 260. I pulled over into a parking and immediately shut off the vehicle. Engine was smoking and coolant was exploded all over the ground.

Coolant tank was bone dry. I got the vehicle towed to my mechanic and they said a bearing flew off of the water pump and that it would be about $690 for a new assembly, and the hose that it broke would be $550. When these engines overheat (even once) the head gasket usually goes, right? I hit 260 degrees so IF that's true it's almost certain that my head gasket is blown? I asked them if they could test it to see if it's gone, but they said unless they replace the hose that's causing this massive leak they wont be able to test the engine. I need some advice on where I should go now: I don't want to waste $550 dollars for them to replace a hose and then tell me I need to replace the head gaskets.

The engine's oil pump is already on its way out (I've been getting an intermittent oil light at idle for the last year or so) and put on like 10k miles so for what it's worth I've definitely got my money out of this engine. What would you guys do in this scenario? Should I search for a replacement engine? Last resort to junk the vehicle because I've enjoyed owning it and for the most part haven't had any trouble repairing it myself (when it comes down to more simple issues). Also it's in the rare Icelandic Blue color in an S model, which is highly sought after.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

If you've been enjoying owning it then I think the answer here is pretty simple- time to breakout the toolkit and get to work! A new water pump is $150 and a oil pump rebuild kit is $105. I don't know what hose was ruined but a hose can't be that much (unless there's some unobtanium I'm not aware of). So for under $300 I think it's well worth it to replace those parts (and perhaps the rest of the hoses as long as you're in there) and see if you really do have a head gasket problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by greisinb:
jastutte (04-17-2023), V50-M66 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 01:55 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

$550 to replace a hose is stupid. I can't think of one on a Disco that should cost that much. A new water pump is way less than $690. Filling the engine with coolant is going to be the most straightforward path to checking the gaskets, and replacing the burst hose is step one of that process. Replacing the water pump will be step two.
I had an engine that hit around 250 and didn't blow the head gaskets, but it was one where I had replaced them less than 5k miles ago.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 04:57 PM
Mudding
Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

I second repairing the hose, water pump, and oil pump. I just redid my entire cooling system and the only part that was tough was removing the old water pump gasket. Once you've done that you can find out about the head gaskets. But given the color and S model, it's worth it to fix it in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Worst case, head gaskets aren't terribly hard to replace just very tedious. Take it slow, watch the Atlantic British tutorial and enjoy it! It was my first mechanical project and only previously done battery replacements or oil changes. Took me 2 months with minor delays of parts and traveling. You will learn a lot about the truck and spot parts that need fixing or replacement. Only downside is you need space and the time.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

A genuine waterpump is $222, set of genuine hoses about $300 (Rimmerbros). If you go OEM it will be way cheaper.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
If you've been enjoying owning it then I think the answer here is pretty simple- time to breakout the toolkit and get to work! A new water pump is $150 and a oil pump rebuild kit is $105. I don't know what hose was ruined but a hose can't be that much (unless there's some unobtanium I'm not aware of). So for under $300 I think it's well worth it to replace those parts (and perhaps the rest of the hoses as long as you're in there) and see if you really do have a head gasket problem.
Originally Posted by YETIX
I second repairing the hose, water pump, and oil pump. I just redid my entire cooling system and the only part that was tough was removing the old water pump gasket. Once you've done that you can find out about the head gaskets. But given the color and S model, it's worth it to fix it in my opinion.
Think you're both right. Going to just get the Disco towed back to my driveway and attempt to repair these myself.

The following 4 users liked this post by gleepglorp:
ahab (04-18-2023), jastutte (04-18-2023), V50-M66 (04-18-2023), YETIX (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

As long as you're swapping it out you may want to take a look at the FlowKooler model which (apparently) uses an improved impellor design to improve coolant flow rates, especially at low RPM's. I have no experinice with it but your post jogged my memory so I thought I would pass it along.
https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pro...ery-water-pump

The following 3 users liked this post by greisinb:
04disco2va (04-18-2023), JUKE179r (04-20-2023), YETIX (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Get the FlowKooler water pump (impeller is a work of art).

The following users liked this post:
04disco2va (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Get the FlowKooler water pump (impeller is a work of art).
I got one when I upgraded my cooling system. It's amazing for sure. Can't really see the impeller fins in this picture, but the pump is very, very nice.

Quick Reply: Need advice ASAP!