Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice Please!!! 2002 Discovery SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice Please!!! 2002 Discovery SE

Hi All,

Im new the forums and im coming here based on limited knowledge on these type of vehicles. I need advice on buying or looking at this 2002 Discovery SE. I have not yet talked to the guy that owns it but im always researching my next car buy mainly for reliability issues. I am selling my 07 Nissan Maxima to get something less expensive and get rid of a car payment and reduce insurance. My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months and wanting to get something comfortable. I like to stay away from Ford, GM, Dodge due to personal reasons and have always been interested in the euro scene (if this would be classified as). I have owned e28-e30 bmws a few times and dont mind getting my hands dirty on those and have also worked on alot of Honda's cause those are mainly what i have owned so far. Im 23 as well and pretty mechanically inclined and basically self taught Lol. So, jumping to the point. I found an ad on craigslist for this http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2253945882.html . Its a 02, seems to have been taken care of. Is the price fair? Should I ask for records? If the owner doesn't have any what shall i do? Should i take it to a local mechanic or strictly a land rover mechanic? What things should i look for while driving the vehicle? I want to be able to drive this for the next couple of years until my wife is financially stable in her new job. It would be used for commuting back and forth to her school and around town when not driving our other car. Basically a kid hauler Lol. on a scale of 1-10 are these pretty reliable? Thats my BIGGEST concern.

Any input is greatly appreciated because I dont know much about these at all. If its a good buy im sure ill see you guys on here in the near future!!

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, I'll start...

Should I ask for records?
Yes

If the owner doesn't have any what shall i do?
Assume that major service hasn't been done, and discount accordingly.

Should i take it to a local mechanic or strictly a land rover mechanic?
If you have a LR mechanic that knows the problem areas, it would be helpful.

What things should i look for while driving the vehicle?
There's multiple threads on this forum... too extensive to list here.

I want to be able to drive this for the next couple of years until my wife is financially stable in her new job.
Hmmm... Discovery is not the best choice if you're trying to maintain a budget

It would be used for commuting back and forth to her school and around town when not driving our other car. Basically a kid hauler Lol.
Again, I would be worried having your wife/kid in a Discovery, esp. with unknown history.

on a scale of 1-10 are these pretty reliable? Thats my BIGGEST concern.
If you've done ALL of the servicing (as described in this forum), they can be reasonably good. But nothing close to a Honda civic. If your wife won't forgive you when it breaks down, then you need to find another vehicle.

Someone else on this site summed it up very well. Half of the time you're going to love your Discovery, and half of the time you're going to hate it/want to sell it.

As for the one you're looking at...
1) Price is outrageous. $2K-3K depending upon records is more reasonable.
2) 18MPG / 23MPG is total B.S. If the seller lies about the MPG, I wouldn't believe anything else he says. Realistic mileage is about 12/16 give-or-take.
3) Parts aren't necessarily cheap. Look at atlanticbritish.com or roversnorth.com for an idea of what things cost. I don't think a $60 caliper is much of a proxy for the cost of car parts...
4) Why are there cracks in front and rear bumper? What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in if owner was this careless? Was it off-roaded a lot?
5) A lot of people buy Discoveries, and then sell them when they get the $2K estimate to (a) replace transfer case, (b) replace head gaskets, or (c) replace transmission due to faulty driveshaft, etc. etc.. So ask yourself: what is wrong with this Discovery that makes the seller afraid of keeping it more than 1 year?

Anyway, my $0.02 worth. All negativity aside, we love our '03 Discovery. But, we've owned it from mile 000001 (or thereabouts) so we know every inch of it's history.

Good luck!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Toyota if you want a reliable car that will give you long service. Discos require preventative maintenance to keep in top shape, if not done you will find yourself with a steaming heap of metal next to the highway. Search for overheating and see how often that comes up.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both! I will keep this in mind and I wont even bother calling then. Lol

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some very nice dependable mini vans out there in that price range. Our Disco's are really specialty vehicles..the best 4x4byfar. If you where buying new and putting that first 50 to 60 thousand miles on it, well could be a good choice. We have two that are daily drivers but will tell you I spend a lot of time on watching and maintaining our trucks. I have been fortunate and have not experienced the high dollar repairs..head gaskets or failed transmission. But I'm ready for when that day comes. Even have a gasket kit ready. Been sitting along time. Will add this as a last comment. I believe on a dependability scale one to ten, my wifes and mine are a ten, would drive either from Texas to Alaska tomorrow. The one your looking at...maybe a four.