Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Diagnostic Help - ACE System Noise? - Clunking with Body Roll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Diagnostic Help - ACE System Noise? - Clunking with Body Roll

I recently replaced the engine in my 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II ( complete write-up on that will be forthcoming)...

While I was working on the Disco, I replaced the sway arm links with new ones.

I now am experiencing a strange clunking when changing directions results in body roll. The sway arm links are not the source of the noise.

While I had the engine out, the ACE system was drained and a new filter was installed.

This clunking noise reminds me of the noise I had when the bushings that hold the torsion bar to the frame were bad. I replaced those and that clunking noise went away. It was most pronounced when I would turn right into my driveway and roll over the curbed entry.

This noise is similar, but happens when the body rolls in one direction and then it happens again when the body rolls back in the other direction. It has nothing to do with the amount the steering wheel turns. In fact, when sitting still, the wheel an be turned in both directions, all the way from lock to lock, without inducing any noise. Therefore, I don't think it is in the steering box, or steering linkage at all.

I think the noise has to be coming from the ACE system, but I cannot find anything loose at all.

Any help diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated...

Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You "NEVER" drain the ACE system unless you have the proper scanner to bleed it when adding fluid back.
I would suggest you pull the fuse on it ASAP till you can have a shop with the proper scanner bleed out the air.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

Perhaps I should restate that... All I did was remove the filter and replace it with a new one. The fluid loss was only what came out when the filter was removed.

The reservoir was sucked out with a vacuum pump and then new fluid was added back to top it off.

No pipes were disconnected and the vehicle was never started while the system wasn't topped off.

The Ace Pump was never disconnected during engine replacement.

Is that enough air introduced into the system to require the shop to bleed it?

Jeff

Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

The word ,drained, is what caught my attention.
Do you have a warning light on your dash?
If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll call and walk you thru this.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling

I have the EXACT same thing going on with my 2000 DII. It's a single "Clunk" I can hear whenever the body rolls slightly. Has nothing to do with the steering. It seems to only happen when the body rolls a little. I havent pulled my engine or done anything to my ACE system. I assumed it was some bushing somewhere that needs replaced. Mines pretty faint at this point. I'm the only one thats noticed it. I hope it's a bushing anyway.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Here again, do you have a warning light on the dash, how many miles on the truck, are you still on the factory suspension and when was the last time you flushed the ACE fluid?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

No warning lights on the dash.

I sent you my number via PM.

Jeff

Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for your help Mike...

By disconnecting the ACE system by pulling the Engine Compartment fuse, I confirmed that the noise does not go away without the ACE system active, although it is much less pronounced.

I am assuming that this is because there is significantly less force acting on the suspension components when the ACE system is disabled.

Since the noise appears to be coming from the left front wheel well, I may now have the issue narrowed to the ball joints on the left front.

I'll try to diagnose that specifically on Tuesday... Won't have a chance tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have this same clunking sound associated with body roll on my '03, and it's more pronounced when I'm reversing. If I roll over a bump going straight, there's no clunk, but when I roll over the same bump while turning, it clunks. I've replaced my shocks recently, and while I had it up I tried moving all the suspension parts around to see if anything felt loose. I also disconnected the sway bars and drove it over a bump to see if that made any difference. Nothing I've done seems to point to anything specific.

One thing I was wondering, though. Could a body-to-frame mount be broken or loose somewhere? I haven't really explored the body mounts yet (haven't looked it up in RAVE yet, so I don't even know what the mounts look like or where they are).

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Crawl under and look. There are bushings holding both sway bars and the rams are bolted to the frame.

Quick Reply: Need Diagnostic Help - ACE System Noise? - Clunking with Body Roll