Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help after recovered stolen '04 Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help after recovered stolen '04 Disco 2

This past week I had my 2004 LR Discovery II stolen from my house driveway and was recovered by the cops within 48 hours. There was no visible damage to steering column, no cut wires under dash or in engine bay. I did find the vehicle at the wrecker yard and battery cover lid was missing. So, these bastards did something with the battery to start the vehicle.

However, there's was damage to 2 windows, front leather seats were slashed, and Service Engine Light flashing now. The codes were P1300, P1307, P1308. This is the main thing I want to get an opinion on to see what may be the culprit and if this was caused by the auto thieves when they hot wired the vehicle.

Also, at this point, is it worth making all the repairs (cosmetic and/or engine) to this Rover?
I've had since she was new and knew a day would come when we had to part ways but not like this.

Thanks for whatever advice you guys can provide.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

battery and ignition codes. i'd start checking the ignition switch out and all fuses first
i had a vehic. getting the 1300(iirc) for a srtipped/worn out ignition switch...key would fall out from time to time

I bet the scum bags slashed your seats because they could not afford fuel..serves them right

just kidding, of course, that is a horrible situation. sorry that it happened

Last edited by dusty1; 12-20-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

so essentially they finally got it started, dash lit up like a xmas tree, and they couldn't deal with how unreliable rovers are? haha but seriously, sorry for the inconvenience.

Which windows are damaged?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gpompa
...There was no visible damage to steering column, no cut wires under dash or in engine bay.
That part I cannot understand. What about the steering lock mechanism ? Do thieves have a very magic key ?

Or LandRoverCorp just messes with owners making their life miserable dealing with the complexity of flaky door locks, superlocks, key radio controlled fobs, motion sensor, uncopiable keys, testbooks, CDL, (central door locking), a body computer, overriding procedures, blinking lights, hood switch, blasting horns, left you locked-out... all that to be able to sell you new seat covers, window glass, battery cover and whatever else thieves break in the way ? [IF you recover the vehicle]

I know a lot about electrical circuits and would not know where to begin in order to take/start a Disco without the key on hand.

Those thieves could earn an easy living starting cars that otherwise refuse to.
Would be interesting to find what the law has to say about a wrecker obtaining a vehicle -papers and identity of seller-

Yes, fix it. It is worth it, slowly, you will be 'happy' again.

Last edited by Externet; 12-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Did you check to see if you have the same battery in it?

I've heard stories of tow yards exchanging your new battery for an old dead one...

I'd be curious if they have a new set of leather seats to sell you too.

Are your cats still there?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

Driver door glass and passenger quarter panel glass was shattered. Driver door glass can be found at junkyard and looks to be easier to install than quarter panel window.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Externet
That part I cannot understand. What about the steering lock mechanism ? Do thieves have a very magic key ?

Or LandRoverCorp just messes with owners making their life miserable dealing with the complexity of flaky door locks, superlocks, key radio controlled fobs, motion sensor, uncopiable keys, testbooks, CDL, (central door locking), a body computer, overriding procedures, blinking lights, hood switch, blasting horns, left you locked-out... all that to be able to sell you new seat covers, window glass, battery cover and whatever else thieves break in the way ? [IF you recover the vehicle]

I know a lot about electrical circuits and would not know where to begin in order to take/start a Disco without the key on hand.

Those thieves could earn an easy living starting cars that otherwise refuse to.
Would be interesting to find what the law has to say about a wrecker obtaining a vehicle -papers and identity of seller-

Yes, fix it. It is worth it, slowly, you will be 'happy' again.
Yes, I'm also puzzled how they were able to steal the vehicle without a key to unlock or start the vehicle. ???

Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the bottom of the steering column that is were most the ignition switches and wheel locking is usually located. The key just works a long shaft running threw the column.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

thick white wire in ^ there, may be damaged/cut/spliced. i have disconnect toggles (dummy switches ), on such wires, buried under the drivers seat, in hopes of slowing/deterring those hooligans.

well,crap, they probably just read that.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.