Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ASAP with Driveshaft rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help ASAP with Driveshaft rebuild

My UJ's are in need of swapping out. I did my homework and followed all the steps but I can not get my driveshaft out. Here is why: one of the nuts on the flange bolts on the transfer case side is rounded off (was before I got ahold of it). Since I tried everything I could to get it loose and I can not I thought I would just brake down the UJ while under the vehicle pull those two caps on the flange side and remove the shaft. Only problem is now I can not get the grease caps to move. I tried PB and I have "tapped" them till I want to scream. I can not get them to move. Any help guys? I have got to get this thing out from under there. This is my DD I don't need it down forever. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right...deep breath. This is the second time today that I'm going to recommend vice grips. You need some king sized vice grips on the offending bolt, and then finish removing it. Remember also...it's not a metric bolt.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried vice grips on the nut and a wrench on the other side. Really once you break it it should go no problem after that. Also did you remove the snap rings???

The Goose

Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Winching

Due to the position of the nut and interference from the flange I can not get a vice grip head in there. Yes goose the snap rings are out but no budge on the grease caps.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Medic Have you tried rotating the shaft to a better position??? Lift up whichever end Front or rear that you are working on put vehicle in neutral and rotate tire to turn shaft.

That should help you with either trying to get a better grip on the rounded nut or so you can get a better angle to punch out the grease cap.

The Goose

Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Winching

Yeah I have spun the shaft. I have tried lifting the front end of the shaft also to get more room to get on the nut but no luck. On the transfer case end the bolts are pushed through from the backside so you cant get a socket on them. You can only grip them with a open end wrench which seems to just keep letting go. The nut is on the flange side so even lifting and repositioning will not let me get on the nut. If I use a nut splitter will it ruin the bolt or just the nut? I can replace the nut easily but if the bolt gets messed up it will be a really huge PITA to get a new one on. I would probably have to drop the transfer case to get it in there. I will keep trying. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks guys

Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

I had to weld a bolt to the cap then use a slide hammer when I rebuilt mine. You can alway torch off the nut or a sawzall, then get a new bolt and nut. Just make sure you use heavy duty bolts from the dealer.

Willie

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Winching

Success! After almost an hour of fighting with the stripped nut I was able to get the vice grips on tight enough to get the nut off. Now I just have to find another nut. Autozone did not have one. I will check with NAPA in the morning. One more question. When reassembling do I need to put any grease on the flange (the old one had some old grease caked between the flanges). If not do I need to do any kind of seal (like RTV sealant)? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Winching

I've never put grease between the flanges.

Make sure when it's back together, you grease it until the gease oozes out all four caps on all the u-joints.

then wipe them off, if you want.

luck,greg

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Winching

Thanks Greg. I greased till I got grease on all for caps after assembly before I put it back in place (that much easier to do when its out) so I am good there. I have never greased between the flanges either and I couldn't find any literature saying you should, I was just a little thrown off by the old grease on the one flange. Guess it was seeping in somehow. Anyway thanks for the help. Soon as I can find an auto parts store with the right size automotive grade nylock nuts to replace the old ones the shaft can go back in and I will be on the road.