Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help changing spark plugs and correct gapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help changing spark plugs and correct gapping

First off I need help changing my spark plugs in my 96 disco, I have never attempted this and have only changed plugs in a 94 blazer(19, disco second car) if there is a guide or post on here that shows how to change these, thatd be great. I also need the correct gap size for the spark plugs. thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Plugs are plugs, there is no difference between changing the plugs on the Blazer or Disco, they are both GM engines.
What color are you plug wires, if grey, you should be changing them also to an 8 mm STI or Magnacor wire.
If you look under the hood, there should be a sticker showing the proper plug gap.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get the bosch +4 plugs, come pre-gapped you don't need to gap anymore!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Mudding

when i get them from the store, they tell me .32, but under the hood, it says anywhere between .33 and .38

I had the bosch +4 plugs, gave me nothing but misfires, poor engine performance, and horrible gas mileage. I'm one of the few guys here that the +4's didn't work out for. Threw out the magnecor wires as well, apparently my disco likes some things cheap,lol

Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There have been lots of posts of people running the plus 4's and having problems on DI's.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Mudding

I wish i would have seen them (posts) before i put in the +4s so then i would have know to immediately take them out, instead of trying fix something else, convinced that the +4s were making my car run better,lol

and i see that you've got your blog up and running, i'll be sure to check it out spike.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Instead of taking them out, find out exactly what is wrong. Did you install the 4418 plugs, what about plug wires?
There is no difference in how a D1 fires over a D2, both of course with coil packs.
How many miles on your engine and what octane are you burning.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Mudding

All I know is that they were +4s, as soon as i put them in, i got horrible hesitation at highway speeds, especially up hill; Gas mileage went straight down the tube, and misfire codes like no other. I wasn't sure what to do at first because i also did the seafoam induction cleaning the same day. So i erased the codes and drove it to see if it was just the sea foam, and it would get better. It didn't, so I posted about it here, and was told that now that my engine is running on better spark plugs, the regular plug wires i was using weren't sufficient enough, and i needed to replace them with magnecor wires. So i did that, and it stopped the misfire codes for a little bit, but the gas mileage still sucked. So even though I didn't have 02 sensor codes, i figured it was time to replace them, I ordered them, got the wrong ones, so sent them back. Drove down to wilmington, to a indy shop, but he didn't have the right ones either. But he did have some used ones that were the right kind, and said that he knew for a fact that they were in good condition. Even though i knew it was a bad idea i went for it, because i made the drive down. I left and got 02 sensor codes that same day, went back, changed out the "faulty" 02 sensor, only to have a different 02 sensor code come on, during the drive back,lol.I soon after started getting the misfire codes again. I finally decided to just take out the spark plugs and magnecor wires and put in what i was running before, it instantly everything back to normal. Everything except my o2 sensors of course. which kinda worked out for me anyway, cause i paid 149.00 for each one the first time, and thanks to you guys, found a site that has them for 64.00 dollars, which i'll be ordering this friday. It took me about 3 months of trying to figure out what was going on,lol. During the time everything was going on, i had about 140000 miles and have always put premium in her from the get go.

Last edited by herblatham; 04-28-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

PLEASE post the link where you found DI O2's for $65 each.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Mudding

Kudos to Jull, who told me about the website.

http://www.race-mart.com/items/produ...044-detail.htm

those are the o2 sensors w/AEL

http://www.race-mart.com/items/produ...017-detail.htm

those are the o2 sensors w/o AEL
bad news is these cost 114.00

So i hope yours is equipped with AEL Spike

oh, and you don't have to splice these, the description reads that they come with the oem plug for easy installation...

Quick Reply: need help changing spark plugs and correct gapping