Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help fast deep water

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's pretty much a Land Rover issue. The oil in the K&N air filters kill them for some reason. If you use it you will probably need to replace your MAF within the first year.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks buick, I did some quick searching on the issue, and am not overly concerned. I'm going to take my chances, properly maintain the filter without over oiling, and clean the MAF periodically if need be.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Three Wheeling

checked my engine codes today... and I had racked up 8 codes! thats a record for me!

mostly misfires and mass air issues. one abs rough road sensor fault. thats about it.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, you are just going by your gut instinct and the MAF is OK," WRONG". Give us all 8 fault code numbers.
When replacing the MAF, go to British Part of Utah, not after market cause they won't work.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So, you are just going by your gut instinct and the MAF is OK," WRONG". Give us all 8 fault code numbers.
When replacing the MAF, go to British Part of Utah, not after market cause they won't work.
disco mike idk what the hell your problem is, but i'm not rash or stupid when it comes to automotive issues. I've been working on trucks and heavy equipment since i was a teen over 15years of it, even maintaining the excavating equipment for a stone business. I have built a handfull of jeeps and worked on countless friends rigs as well. I build a motorcycle from the ground up damn near every winter. This is not my first rodeo my friend. I like to make sure I have all the info before I make a decision which is why I came here to people who know these vehicles better than I do at this point to make sure all I needed to do was the basic dry out/fluid check I would need to do with any other vehicle.

I may not have 10,000 posts on some forum, but thats bc i'm out doing it rather than reading about it and relaying the info. The MAF is dried about and seems to be working fine. The codes had not been reset since it was in the water and i am going to keep checking them to make sure there are no pending codes over the next couple of days/weeks. I do appreciate the part suggestion and i will make a note of it in my maintenance log in the event that i need to replace it.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

russdouble...both Mike, Spike and other senior members here have been the single reason I can keep and drive both mine and my wife's Disco II's. Good straight forward advice from guys that have been there. I had the 0174, 0173, and 0733 codes (all MAF) and took the good maf off mine and put it on my wifes...codes went away. So..off to the independent rover folks here in SA and he talked me into a after market. This is after I cleaned the factory bosch that was giving codes. Didn't work The aftermarket ran fine and seemed to fix the problem. But sure enough after one drive cycle the SEL was back on and I had the codes back. I went back to the dealer and bought a new bosch MAF and no problem since. These are not normal vehicles. So we are interested in hearing if a cleaning was successful for you.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Winching

Russdouble you might have a lot of experience working on other vehicles but Land Rovers are unique in many ways. You can use a K&N air filter on practically any car except a Land Rover. Same goes for the cleaning of your MAF. Take the advice of the people on this forum. There is no reason why anybody especially the senior members would want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

i understand that... my problem with disco mike is the attitude he has presented from the very beginning to me. As i mentioned my MAF codes and misfire codes were the result of it being wet at the time of the "dunking". They were just reset this morning, and I will be monitoring the codes and pending codes. I am NOT ignorantly assuming everything is perfect.

As for the K&N I have done further research and found mixed reviews from Disco owners, half of the neg ones seem to be from those whom have never even owned a K&N filter themselves. It is a risk I plan on taking because I have been more than satisfied with my K&N filters over the last 10 or so years I've been using them, and if it bites me... I have the money to replace a MAF no problem.

I do appreciate the help, particularly from those who seem to genuinely care. And I do appreciate you Buick for bringing the K&N issue to my attention, and I'm in no way trying to say you are wrong or stupid, it is just a risk I am willing to take.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russdouble
disco mike idk what the hell your problem is, but i'm not rash or stupid when it comes to automotive issues.
Originally Posted by russdouble
i understand that... my problem with disco mike is the attitude he has presented from the very beginning to me. As i mentioned my MAF codes and misfire codes were the result of it being wet at the time of the "dunking". They were just reset this morning, and I will be monitoring the codes and pending codes. I am NOT ignorantly assuming everything is perfect.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Ok, so here' the deal Russ...Disco Mike is like that. He's crotchety. I'm not sure how old he is, but you just gotta get used to it. He's like that with literally EVERYBODY. He's not mean, he's just no-nonsense. Seriously, we're glad you're here at LRF, but that's one of the things you're gonna have to get used to. Actually I think it gives this forum a personality, which is awesome. I wouldn't want this forum without DiscoMike.

Remember though, he is ALSO a mod on this forum, so you can't get too fresh with him. He's totally a good guy though, he gives out his number all the time for people to call him and talk through their issues. He's was a LR service tech for a lot of years, so he's a wealth of information. Like I said, he's just a no-nonsense guy.

Here's a tip though: you can't treat your Discovery the same as any other vehicle and expect to get by with it, I think that's what Disco Mike and others are trying to get across. We're not a bunch of pansies around here that don't know about the real world of automotive repair. We like to get dirty and stuff, but if you don't treat your Disco with kid gloves it's going to bite you in the rumpous. That's all we're referring to.

And let me adopt a little of DiscoMike's crotchetiness: To be entirely honest, your attitude of "I know what I'm doing" singles you out as a newb more than asking a simple question. Just sayin!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling

yeah I picked up on that with Mike. And as far as getting too fresh, I'm not going to give back whats not been dished out to me, and if that gets me banned by all means I can and will go elsewhere for my info.

I do get that they are different vehicles which is why I came here before I did anything with my water logged toy. This is not my only source of info though, and I am weighing all my info before making a decision, just like anyone else with any ounce of intelligence would.

Update: put about 400 miles on my vehicle since reseting the codes and still no pending codes on the comp. Is running as smooth as ever and the fuel economy is the same as it was prior to the dunking. Will keep watching that MAF and the ride as a whole for any other symptoms of damage from the water.

Thanks again to everyone. (even you disco mike )

Quick Reply: need help fast deep water