Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting her 100%

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help getting her 100%

So my 1998 Land Rover Discovery I V8i has a couple of problems, If anyone can give advice on anyone of the issues, ETC how to do it, Replace it, Repair it, Or even where to buy the parts.

First problem!
My Map pockets on both Driver and passenger door have been ripped out, I need to replace them both.

Second problem!
The Mesh sunroof visor Clips are broken, One up front and one in the rear.

Third problem!
The plastic Footbox covers on the bottom of the Driver and Passenger seats have both been broken and removed, I need to replace them both.

Fourth Problem!
My shifter selector film has been removed, It got ripped, So i did the dirty deed of completely cutting out the rest. How do i replace that?

Fifth Problem!
The rubber mat is FILTHY! how do i clean it?! My dumbass friend spilled chili all over it

Sixth Problem!
The gauge cluster Cover is lose, The two screws have stripped the hole so i need bigger headed screws, Or somekind of a washer to hold it in place.

Seventh problem!
The marker corner and frame got hit so i removed it, It ruined the Plastic but the frame is fine.

Eighth Problem!
When it shifts it makes a horrible sound like DUH DUH only when it downshifts though. Or if im on a hill and i take it out of park it sounds horrible.

Ninth problem!
My brakes are useless, I need new ones, Any recommendations?

So i need some advice on like, Where to get these parts, How to replace the items, Anything that will help me is greatly Appericiated!!!

Trying to sell it, Hopefully getting 10,000 from it.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Mudding

#8 the parking pin it the transmission is weak and you need to use the parking brake on a hill.

With your foot on the brake you need to put on the parking brake then
take your foot off the brake and let the parking brake hold the Disco, then put it in park.

You could brake the parking pin in the trans and that would need a rebuild to fix.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Mudding

The Rover Connection has the side pockets for the doors and maybe the doors for the underseat foot boxs

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Mudding

The sun screen for the sunroofs,, the clips I could not find.
I had one broken so I made one out of sheet metal, painted it black and used two very small screws to hold it.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

#8 and 9 need to be #1 and 2 on your list before you have a paperweight. Change all your gearbox oils (differentials and transfer case) and your ATF. Go to Atlantic British and get the EBS kit and don't forget to bleed your brake fluid to replace it with fresh stuff.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Do I understand you right that you're trying to sell the truck and hope to get $10,000 for it? Do you have any clue what the truck is worth? In perfect condition it's only worth about $5000, with all the problems you've listed (and the multitude of stuff you probably don't even know about) you'd be lucky to sell the truck for $3000.

Once again I'll ask as I do every time you have posted a problem, have you completed the 60K service yet? A lot of the actual mechanical problems, such as your transmission and brakes, will be taken care of when you change the fluids.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
TReK

I agree, I paid $10,000 for my 2002 DII in Manhattan 4 years ago. I'm not sure who is going to pay $10,000 these days for a 14 mpg premium gas hog. I keep mine because I like it, I will never get my money out of it and don't care. They are worth $4500 in a cash for clunkers trade in.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I agree, I paid $10,000 for my 2002 DII in Manhattan 4 years ago. I'm not sure who is going to pay $10,000 these days for a 14 mpg premium gas hog. I keep mine because I like it, I will never get my money out of it and don't care. They are worth $4500 in a cash for clunkers trade in.
are they really worth 4500 in a cash for clunker trade-in? i didnt even think disco's qualified

Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
TReK

My wife was on the website when I was doing my head gaskets and she said they are, due to the poor mileage I suppose. I told her there is no way after I went through all that that we were dumping the truck.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Winching

I feel the same way, love it too much to get rid of it, and ive about matched the value of the vehicle with cost of parts and repairs

Quick Reply: Need help getting her 100%