Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location

I've replaced hose clamps and bleeder screw to stop slow leak. Now it's leaking even more than before. Please see photos and please help me identify where this can possibly be coming from. It looks to be originating somewhere under the expansion tank as its not overflowing.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0173.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0174.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0175.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0176.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0178.jpg  

Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the stub is cracked at the tank base--A common occurrence.
By disturbing it you have made it worse.

Amistades T/V

Old 03-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to agree with this. These expansion tanks can really suck. I need a new one as well.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes
And when you buy one don't forget top give yourself a treat and buy a new pressure cap to go with the tank.
T/V

Old 03-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Thank you for the quick responses! Is this something I can do myself, I'm completely new with working on cars but have learned a lot since getting this one. According to the car fax the coolant reservoir was replaced at 82k, it now has 95k. Is this the same thing I'll more than likely be replacing for my current issue? It has never overheated once since I've had it at 89k. I've taken it to steamboat springs, Colorado springs, and Loveland ski area 5x all from Denver. I've never had an overheating issue.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yep, as long as you can work a screwdriver, you are good to go.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Thank you all very much. I removed the reservoir in 5 minutes. I just ordered a new one on eBay with a cap. I think air was getting into the system from the cracks on the reservoir tank and causing my bleeder screw and t connection hose to leak. I could be completely wrong with that. There appear to be obvious cracks and I hope this will also fix the small amount of coolant coming from my new bleeder screw. Once again thank you for all of the help, very much appreciated.

Last edited by Yosemite Sam I am; 03-16-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bleeder screw I'd a whole not her issue. If that's leaking it is unrelated to the pressure tank I think. I would replace it.. unless the "t" it screws into is leaking as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Drifting

There originally was a very slow leak coming from one of the hoses at the T connection. I changed the clamps on all the hoses and it still was slowly leaking. I noticed because my radiator fan was spraying it on to my hood. I then noticed a little bit was coming from my bleeder screw and that's when I broke that trying to tighten it. After replacing the screw, a couple days later the large leak emerged from my coolant reservoir as you guys described. It almost seems the more I'm sealing or closing off the system the coolant is finding another way to punch through the system. If this reservoir tank doesn't fix the issue I may have to take it into my local land rover mechanic. I hope to avoid that at all costs.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Here's the pictures of how it looked today in the sun. You can see the coolant still coming from my new bleeder screw. Maybe I should try replacing the T connection?

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0185.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0186.jpg   Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location-dsc_0188.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need Help Identifying Coolant Leak Location