Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please

Hello, everyone. I need some help please. I'm having problems with my truck. It's a 1999 discovery 2. I bought it a year ago with 90k miles on it, it now has 105k miles. I have never had any problems with it until now. I went to leave the other day and when I went to give it gas it did not want to go, and the service engine light started flashing, it was very sluggish. So, I pull over at the end of the street, pop the hood and jump out, when I get out I smell rotten eggs real bad. I looked under hood, didnt notice anything, and returned home. The next day I go to autozone to check service engine light and get these codes: 0171,0174, 1590, 0303, 0733,0744. Which Ive learned are lean banks both sides, neutral position switch, cylinder#3 misfire, and 2nd,4th gear incorrect ratios. Well, I'm no mechanic but after reading obd printouts and searching forums, I decide its maf sensor. I installed brand new maf sensor and air filter today. It didn't fix it. It's still the same. I don't know what to do next. I'm already out $300. I don't know if I need o2 sensors or catalytic converters or what. I have checked all the vacuum lines I can see, and they all look ok. Im going to change transmission fluid/filter tomorrow, but I don't think thats my problem. I think my cylinder misfire might be a plug wire(factory wires still on truck), but I dont have the money to replace them right now, I do not think there causing my problem. Anyways, I can start the truck and let it idle, and its ok. But when I put it in gear and give it gas the service engine light starts flashing and truck starts running rough,barely pulls, I have to give it alot more trottle than normal. I floor it and it doesn't have any power. But as soon as I stop and let off gas for a 30 seconds or so, it starts to idle correct and service engine light goes off. I'm starting to think its my cats. I know with my miles I need new o2 sensors,plugs,wires,etc. but these are hard times and I can't afford all that right now, I need to get it back running right to get to work. I just wanted to get some other opinions before I tried anything else. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Please

It is your plugs and wires, end of story.
Until you replace them it will not run right. You have so many misfires that it just wont run under load.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Mudding

new plugs and wires for a start, and i hear you on the money part but the el cheapo wires will only cause more problems. i run a 1.50 ngk plug in mine and have found its the best on fuel econ, but with the waste spark system they tend to act up after 10k or so, but they are easy to swap out. Do you run premium in the truck? Id take the negative lead off the batt and see what codes come back rite away, this will give you a better starting point.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

NGK's are the best on everything. i use them in my disco, snowmobiles, and boats.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for replies, I have ran 87 octane since i got it (15k) miles. I found magnecor wires, do they make plugs to? What plugs does everyone recommend, what gaps. I will have codes checked again tomorrow since replacing maf sensor, will try undoing batt. first. Will plugs/wires cause that awful smell. Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get the MAF sensor, is it Bosch or aftermarket?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Mudding

man. i know it sucks paying for premium but just because it runs on 87 doesnt mean you're saving. its going to waste your heads. nothing you can do about the fuel thing. the smell could very well be caused by the comp backing off the timing bc the engine is knocking with the cheap fuel. these trucks will drink more gas on 87 than they will with 93, plus the other damage. you can grab ngk's at any auto parts store they can look up the number for you. stay with the same heat range.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

running 87 in these trucks is like you getting a new pair of expensive shoes, then shooting yourself in the right foot with them on, and ruining them, plus your whole body.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with Magnecor 8mm plug wires and whatever plugs you want. I use Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and love them so far but my mechanic hates them and recommends the Bosch double platinums. Cheap plugs will work but you'll be changing them out more often. You must run premium fuel in these trucks. Regular will ruin your heads and your fuel mileage will suck. I didn't know to run premium fuel when I first bought the truck. Once I learned that I switched and my mileage jumped 2 mpg. Synthetic oil added another .5 mpg. Good plugs and wires will fix all the codes you're showing. Cheap wires you'll be replacing in a month so even though you're paying less you'll end up paying more in the end.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have NGK iridiums in all my vehicles.

run 92 octane,,,

replace wires with good wires,,,

Quick Reply: Need Help Please