Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with potential buy of 1995 disco.. 170k miles.. Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with potential buy of 1995 disco.. 170k miles.. Please

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap car just to go to the mountains for snowboarding season. I found a '95 land rover discovery for sale... it has 170,000 miles..this is the link to the advertisement: 1995 Land Rover Discovery se.Very.Reliable.no.mechanical.problems

I'm worried on the mileage... i havnt seen a used car with that many miles on it... do you think it would be reliable for atleast a year with 170,000 miles?.. I am not sure on how these trucks last with age... should i shy away from it.. or is it a good buy if my time to ownership plans to be ~1-2 years? If i can get the seller down to $1,600 would this be a good buy looking at his site?

Again, would 170k miles on this vehicle indicate its really close to going kaput... i mean i know it all depends on how it was taken care of and such... but whats teh average mileage i could assume before having to do seirous work on it to get it to run?

Thanks...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok.

I paid $1700.00 for mine.

163,000 when i got it. it runs great stops great, does everything well.

ask for service records etc.

it looks clean enough!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that ad says it has a 5.2L engine so either he's done an engine swap or he doesn't know what he's talking about. Confirm engine size and get back to us.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
3rd Gear

I just called him and he said he doesnt know.. hes the second owner and thats what it says when he baught it.. the number is on there.. sadly im a true newbie =/, and it kind fo sounds like he is as well...

I've read a lot of reviews that these trucks need repairs frequently and are expensive.. im just looking for something thats good in the moutnains and snow that could last a year or two with no repairs... any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is the check engine light on? did you test drive it? is it leaking any fluids onto the ground that you can see?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by motherman
sadly im a true newbie =/, and it kind fo sounds like he is as well...
at least you're on here asking questions and trying to do some research before buying...that's the right first step. I'm guessing it's just the stock engine in there, but try to get a pic to verify. If you're willing to do the work yourself it will not be that expensive to maintain and you will have an excellent mountain/snow SUV with room for 4 guys and snowboard gear. Me and 3 friends took mine on a trip to boone, NC last year. It did great..acceptable MPG if you keep it at 65mph or below and the full time 4wheel drive is made for snowy roads.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear

It seemed to drive fine... and i didnt notice any leaks... I know I'm kind of asking an unknown question since you guys never saw it, drove it or know how it was handled previously..

I guess what Im asking is, in all your experience and knowledge.. do you think theres a high probability that a 95 disco with 170k miles could last a year or two tops with zero repairs/maintence needed..

i just want something good for the ice and snow (i wrecked my car last year up in Hunter going off the road in ice), can fit my equipment, is cheap, and something I dont have to even worry about fixing anything for atleast 1-2 years...I saw this rover for sale, so i knew it be good in ice and snow, i see the price that its cheap and i see it can fit my equipment.. the only last criterion that is most important and I have NO CLUE, is if with 170k miles it could last a year or two with ZERO repairs or maintence.,.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear
Default leaks

Ok number 1 it's a land rover if it's not leaking then it's empty..I bought mine in 1997 new and it has leaked since the first oil change I have put 183k HARD mud, sand at the beach, mountiains and road speeds over 80 on my disco..the only problem I have ever had has been the water pump which I replaced from an on-line auto parts store for $62 total $72 with shipping..the enngine light has been on since 134k and couldn't find any codes in the system..the Rovers are sensor sensitive..if it's not running rough it could just be a lose fuel cap..If the maintance was done then the all aluminum engine coiuld last forever, it should be a 3.9 or 4.0 with about 170 to 190 hp depending on who you ask...over all once you take it to the snow or beach or where ever you will fall in love with it..just take care if it and it will take care of you..check the iol in the tranny and transfer case..if I can help email at hnd2hnd99@yahoo.com

Last edited by hnd2hnd; 10-05-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't think anything will last 2 years with zero repairs or maitenance.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
TReK

If you want to be 100% certain you'll have no repairs the next 2 years you need to lease a new vehicle. From what I've heard so far I don't think a used land rover is for you, sorry just being honest.

Quick Reply: Need help with potential buy of 1995 disco.. 170k miles.. Please