Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/ locating side steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ locating side steps

Anyone know of where to get some side steps for my 00 disco? I have done the usual search thing and can't really find what I want. I would like to get some simple 3" round black tube type that I can stick some non-skid on for stepping in. I was able to find brackets from OE running boards that I can weld tabs to. I just don't want the bulky stock running boards. I really just want generic nerf bars.

Steve

Last edited by speakerdude; 03-29-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You know, that if you go off road with those on, you stand the possibility of tearing them off when wheeling?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nerf Bars

Mike is right. The first time I went wheeling with my local group, we were climbing to the summit in the Laurel Moutains of Pennslyvania.

I had the original stock DI running boards on mine at the time. The passenger's side board got severely bent upward on some rocks. The factory mounts had rusted badly. I ended up ripping it off the truck right there with my bare hands and tossing it in the back. Did not want to litter the environment. A few days later, I stepped on the Drivers side board and it began to come off, so both are long gone now.

Anything that sticks out or down is not good.
Rocksliders mounted to frame are much better. Also skid plates are a good idea if going offroad.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A set of rock sliders with tree bars like these should give you the step you seek with the added protection to your sils.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the input but the truck will never see any off road use that will cause damage to them. My wife is going to use it as a daily driver for groceries and grand baby hauling. She has a serious back condition that required the fusion of 3 vertebrae a year ago as well as fibro myalgia and this is the first thing she has driven that she is comfortable in since I sold her 94 Jag XJ6. Her M3 is too confining w/ the sport seats and the Benz is harsh as it is lowered and has had other Renntech suspension as well as engine mods done to it. She just has a hard time getting in the Rover. It had stock running boards on it but they were rusted from all the salt used here in Missouri and they trapped a lot of stuff against the body so I got rid of them. I do have the brackets so that I can weld tabs onto another bar for fitment. I hate to sound like a ***** but this is really going to be a road truck w/ occasional use running around our farm when we go out there. I like the fact it is big, heavy, will definately get around in the snow, and is comfortable. I can buy a lot of gas for what I saved redoing this one over something new. I just took the headliner out as it was sagging a little in a couple spots, dynamatted the roof areas and in the doors, replaced all the speakers except the subs w/ focals, am installing better amplification, installed radar detector wiring for front and rear while the headliner is out, and I have to do a couple other minor things but it is definately a cool truck. I know go Rhino makes a spring loaded 12" step and I may go that route if I can't find what I want. I have done all the usual search stuff and the 99-01 are just not listed anywhere. I woulld be a lot better off if I was not semi retired w/ a big garage full of tools and at least a general idea how to work them.
It is the curse of being an engineer and also liking cars.

I attached a couple pics of yesterday's destruction to the interior. I will post "after' pictures also. The stock headliner shell is really flimsy. I have added a couple layers of fiberglass to the back, it helps tremendously.

I also stuck a picture of my dirt toy in. It was ann 83 short bed I made into a stake bed convertible pick up w/ an LS1 smalll block. Fun but dangerous.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ locating side steps-012.jpg   Need help w/ locating side steps-013.jpg   Need help w/ locating side steps-toyota-pictures.jpg  

Last edited by speakerdude; 03-29-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by speakerdude
Anyone know of where to get some side steps for my 00 disco? I have done the usual search thing and can't really find what I want. I would like to get some simple 3" round black tube type that I can stick some non-skid on for stepping in. I was able to find brackets from OE running boards that I can weld tabs to. I just don't want the bulky stock running boards. I really just want generic nerf bars.

Steve
Have you tried searching RunningBoardWarehouse (http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com/discovery.aspx). I purchased the OE style boards w/ universal brackets which I had to fabricate to fit Disco but it appears the nerf bars have vehicle specific brackets.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM
4wd Low

These are what I have been looking for, thanks for the link.

Steve

Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Three Wheeling

Will the ones off my 03 fir?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply but I ordered the simple black pipe ones from the link above.

I got the headliner back in and the speakers done so as soon as the bars arrive I should be good to go for a while. By the way, simply taking out the cargo door subwoofer enclosure and lining the door w/ asphaltic rubber (essentially the same thing as dyanmat but a lot less expensive and available from partsexpress.com) then sprayiing in a can of good undercoating made a huge difference in the bass. I also used the sound deadening on the plastic cover that goes over the subwoofers (inside obviously) and it stopped additional rattles that I was hearing. I did the inside of the other doors while I was replacing the speakers then replaced the plastic moisture barrier. I also did as many areas on the roof as possible while the headliner was out. Again, huge difference.

Most people will probably not like my color selection for the headliner (dark charcoal) but it matches all the black trim in the truck and I like it.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Need help w/ locating side steps-001.jpg   Need help w/ locating side steps-004.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
4wd Low

Quick update on The Running Board Warehouse. I paid for the DII product on 3-10 w/ assurance they were in stock. I called today 04-05 and was informed that they may ship out in 5-7 more business days, maybe this week, maybe longer. Apparantly "in-stock" is not literal. I will post again if they arrive and then let everyone know what kind of quality they are. Fortunately I did use a credit card.

Steve

Quick Reply: Need help w/ locating side steps