Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires for "expedition travel", which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires for "expedition travel", which ones?

After finishing most of the 60K service today, I was driving down the 15 at 65mph when I suddenly heard something in the RR wheel weld going round and round while hitting everything around it. At least so it sounded... It wasn't a flat but when i pulled of to the side of the road, I noticed 3 metal wires sticking out on the inside of the tire where it makes contact with the rim. Not good... the tire is coming apart, which was confirmed by American Tire Co. who happened to be around the corner. They put it back on the rim so I could make it home on the side streets. Why? Well, it was 5pm and the store was closing. They did not have the Trexus M/T (currently on vehicle) in stock and probably could not get them till Wednesday or Thursday. I am driving to Baja on Wednesday, so waiting is not an option. I need to get some new ones Monday latest.

Now here is the big question:

What tire should i buy?
Here is the scenario: The tire will be used for long trips on which it will see mostly roads (some good but mostly bad ones; imagine Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Argentina, unpaved, paved). Every now and then, there will be the occasional (muddy/rocky) trail, river crossing, mud bath and sandy beach. Since the trips are long, comfort will be appreciated, so is MPG. Most important is reliability though, the vehicle will be heavily packed! What happened today on the freeway would preferably not happen in a remote area of the Mexican desert...

What would you choose in this situation? (Keep in mind I need to buy 6 as I will need 2 spares. Yes, you guessed it, I want it all for a good price!).

You opinions/experience will be very valuable in choosing the right tire for this purpose!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.coopertires.com/Flash/index.aspx

Go with the Cooper Discoverer S/T (sure trac), it is a very popluar tire in Australia, I have them on my truck and have had them on my FedEx van as well.
They come in all load ranges including "E" (10 ply).
They wear like iron, are quiet on the road but give excellent traction off road as well.
They are great in the snow, they dig right in and then away you go.
The lugs are big enough to self clean but not so big that they sound like a M/T on the highway.
If you get them you wont be disappointed.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, i saw the post when you had just received them. Those and the BFG A/T seem to both be good options. BFG has a proven track record but they are also a bit pricy because of the name. The Trxus I have now can be bought at roverparts.com ready mounted on the Nato rims. The ride quality is just not what I am looking for, they are so loud!

Well, just got a call that we may not be going to Baja this week after all, so I may have a bit of extra time to get them. Where did you order them from?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

For a trip like that I'd definitely go with a 10ply.
I'd try to find something that is also available in Central America, or at least a size that is.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
Yes, i saw the post when you had just received them. Those and the BFG A/T seem to both be good options. BFG has a proven track record but they are also a bit pricy because of the name. The Trxus I have now can be bought at roverparts.com ready mounted on the Nato rims. The ride quality is just not what I am looking for, they are so loud!

Well, just got a call that we may not be going to Baja this week after all, so I may have a bit of extra time to get them. Where did you order them from?
I had ordered from www.onlinetires.com, they had free shipping on those tires and that was the only way that they were cheaper than buying at my local tire shop.
All of your local tire shops will carry them or beable to get them for you in a day or two.
I know that you dont run into snow but I do, and these tires are GREAT in the snow.
They are very popluar here in West Michigan, alot of guys use them on their snow plow trucks.
The BFG A/T is also popular but I think you are paying for the name with those, I have also ran those on my FedEx van and they suck.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

BFG AT's for their side wall strength, good mileage and overall tread design.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Mudding

BFG/AT I have a friend that drove from London to Bombay in his 97 Camel Disco with 245-75-16 BFG/AT's a few years ago,, he said he would not use any other tyre.
www.spectare.com/ that web page is of his trip.
Click on the "The Travelers" at the bottom it will tell you a little about his Disco.

Last edited by LANDZUII; 05-03-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling

www.spectare.com/ that web page is of his trip.
So cool!!! Thanks for sharing that website, I love reading stories of people who have done trips like that. A lot can be learned from their experiences.

Good thing about the BFG is that they are readily available, almost everywhere which is a very good point when making trips like these! Tough choice, but I am leaning towards the BFG...

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
So cool!!! Thanks for sharing that website, I love reading stories of people who have done trips like that. A lot can be learned from their experiences.

Good thing about the BFG is that they are readily available, almost everywhere which is a very good point when making trips like these! Tough choice, but I am leaning towards the BFG...

Now you know who I blame,,,,,,I meant Thank for getting me into Land Rovers.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to rain on Spike's parade, but I have had nothing but good things to say about the BFG AT's I have on my Cherokee (30x9.5R15). I had the rear passenger side one blow into a million pieces on the freeway several months back, but I didn't lose control, and I simply got off to the shoulder. NTB said the tire went down prior to failing. I hadn't noticed anything prior to it letting go, except a vibration literally a second before it let loose.

Got another one put on, and haven't had a lick of trouble since.

I highly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Need new tires for "expedition travel", which ones?