Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions regarding repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions regarding repairs

Hi. I'm new to the board, but it seems very informative. I own a 2003 Discovery (70K)and need some repairs. In the past if I have had a problem, I just took it to my local dealership for repair. It was always expensive, but I had a good job and just paid for the convenience. Unfortunately I was laid off from my job last year and money is now very tight. Here are my problems and I was hoping to get some advice as to how to save some money on the repairs:

Tires - it seems I can get Nitto NT 420s from Discount Tire Direct on the internet for $528 with free shipping. Will a local tire place put them on for a small charge?

No Heat/Waterfall sound behind dashboard - I have read on here that I probably have a leak in the water cooling system. How much should that cost to fix? Is it something I could fix myself? (I have no tools and no experience

Headlight - burned out. Do I have to replace the entire thing or just a bulb? How much should that cost?

Service Engine Light - I think it is my oxygen sensor. Cost?

Brakes - Front and Back

Windshield wipers - one isn't working. One of my coworkers fixed it one time, but it's acting up again.

As you can see, I've got a mess right now. How do I find a local mechanic that is knowledgeable of LRs, but will be reasonable on repairs? Is it possible to buy the parts myself at a better price and have them installed?

I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but I just don't know much about cars. I truly appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has to offer.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Need suggestions regarding repairs

tires- yes a tire shop will mount and balance, call around for price

Cooling system- there is air in your system. disconnect overflow tank, elevate it about 8 inches, open bleeder ( screw in center of hose on top of radiator marked with a + ) fill tank with dexcool until fluid flows from bleeder. replace screw and tank.

Headlight- Don't know, haven't had to change one yet

Service light- go to autozone and have them read codes, then research what the codes mean online or on this forum

brakes- pads about $120-$140 for all 4 wheels, easy to install

wipers- that arm might be loose, check and tighten

get a manual

Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have come to the right place..

I think some of this you can acomplish yourself, if you can follow instructions, and have the patience to sit back and think of your problems, look at some pictures in the RAVE MANUAL then you should be able to save yourself some $$ doing maintence on your vehicle. Click the link and you can download the entire manual for Free..

As far as the check engine light goes.. Everyone here will tell you that many Auto Parts places will plug their Scanner into your Truck and read the codes for you free of charge.. Get those codes and then post them here so the guys that know what they are doing can help you to Diagnose the Problem.

As for the waterfall behind your dashboard, more than likely Mike or someone can talk you through the procedure to "Burp" the system... I have a 94 and the process is a little diffrent.. As far as headlight bulbs.. Yes you can do this stuff!!

Righty Tighty..
Lefty Loosy...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can get tires cheaper than that. Thats not a bad price, but with a really tight budget...
www.treadwright.com

Worry about your coolant leak first.
If you overheat the engine then you will need a new one.

When you replace the headlight bulb do not touch the glass on the new bulb with your fingers. The oil from your hand will overheat the bulb and it will burn out again really fast.

Feel the nut on the bottom of the wiper arm, if it is loose tighten it with a wrench.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I just changed my breaks on my 03 and it was my first ever break change! It was so easy that I was done in 15min.
All you need is 4 break pads $ 80.00 get the ceramice ones, Get a large C-clamp $10.00, A socket wrench and socket size $10.00? and some break cleaner $8.00.
All you do is pull the tire off and spray the arrea down with break cleaner and remove the two screws holding the break housing remove break housing and pull the old pads out then take your C-clamp and push the break piston back in then slip in the new break pads! DONE Maybe you guys know what the stuff? is called you put on the break pads so they done sqeek!
good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Re the "waterfall" sound.....had the same in my '01 Disco a couple of years ago and eventually had shortage issues throughout the vehicle. I found the problem to be a clogged condensation hose near the center under the console......it had clogged and rotted-out the electrical connection vicinity of the same area. LR wanted ~@250 just for the replacement part to reconnect the wiring.....I just soldered them myself and WALAH!!! everyone worked. Watch for the clogged hose....that's key.

Brakes. Ceramics since '04 and still going. Agree with earlier comment....doesn't take long to do it yourself, though you want to ensure you know how to inspect the entire brake assembly (to include rotor wear) or have someone who knows what to check.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
5th Gear

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions.

Here's where I am...

I got a new set of tires for $510 installed.

The waterfall sound/no heat was confirmed to be a coolant leak in the throttle hsg to manifold hose (cost me $160 to repair)

As for the brakes, I have not had them done yet. I was told I needed front pads and rotors and was quoted over $500. I read the earlier post that replacing the pads is easy, but is that true for rotors also? I'm just very nervous because I've never done anything to a car besides put gas in it

The check engine light had lean codes possibly due to an O2 sensor or Vac Leak problem. I have an appointment next week to check further.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$500 isnt that bad..

Look on the atlantic brittish websight and see how much just the parts cost for your vehicle..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling

OK, replacing the headlights is easy once you get the hang of it. On an '03, you actually have to remove the entire headlight pod. There are two Phillips screws on the top of the headlight pod, and if you look between the headlight pod and grill, you will see another Phillips head screw. Remove all three of these, and the headlight pod just pops out. There are covers on each individual light bulb placement. Unscrew the proper cover, remove old bulb and place new bulb. Like Spike said, make ABSOLUTELY sure that you do not touch the new bulb. If you do, the new bulb will only last about 3 months, if that.
BTW, where are you located? That might help some of us narrow down good places for you to get service.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 PM
5th Gear

I live in Rhode Island, but can also easily go to SE Mass. There is one LR Dealer in the state, but they are very expensive.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions regarding repairs