Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 4.6 L Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:34 AM
|
Winching
Default New 4.6 L Block

Hey guys,

Tomorrow I will have my Rover tested to see if it needs a new block.

If so, I'm wondering what the best way to go about finding one is. I'm willing to spend $3,000 between BOTH buying the block, having it shipped, AND having it installed: No more than that.

I've already put $2,000 into this "engine" in the last two weeks, and I'm hoping that between finding a good block for cheap, and convincing this shop to give me a break on the labor for the install, I can do this for $3,000.

Any ideas, suggestions? How do I know that I'm getting a quality block if I buy it out of a part's Rover? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks dudes.

Pat

Old 02-21-2010 | 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

good luck, but highly unlikely. I assume you are talking about your '04. The 4.6L block is pretty, and to make it worse it came in two different versions. One with SAI and one without. Also, you really don't want one from an '03 as they had porosity issues and oil pump failures. Which leaves you with a very limited number of engines to choose from. You are likely looking at $4000+ just for the engine. I have priced them out much higher, but none cheaper.

Old 02-21-2010 | 01:52 PM
Team Owner

www.autosportsunlimited.com, check their "just in" section as well as calling them.
And with local pick up you save on shipping of course.

www.roverlandparts.com

If this truck is still for sale the engine from it is a bolt in for your truck.
http://muskegon.craigslist.org/cto/1567512557.html

Otherwise you could always do what I suggested in the beginning.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1608002458.html

I dont think is that bad though, it's got to be something simple, it just has to be.

Old 02-21-2010 | 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

All the Bosch style 4.6 blocks are all the same, you just need to make sure you put heads on with the SAI holes. You can use one from a P38 also. You just have to change over the plugs that are in the oil cooler holes on the front cover. Good luck on keeping to that budget!

Old 02-21-2010 | 10:20 PM
Mudding

If I may ask, what is wrong with your engine, did it throw a rod through the side of the block so it is not rebuildable.

Old 02-21-2010 | 10:23 PM
|
Winching

Like I said, I'm having it tested tomorrow.

I 99% sure it didn't throw a rod... but I'll definitely have them check the coolant for any trace of "pistol rod".

=^)

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:29 AM
Winching

If I were buying a used engine no matter what the cost, I'd want to see/hear it run & warm up.

Given technology today, anyone selling said engine could easily send you a video if you can't be there.

Get a warranty in writing, the longer the better.

luck,greg

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
Like I said, I'm having it tested tomorrow.

I 99% sure it didn't throw a rod... but I'll definitely have them check the coolant for any trace of "pistol rod".

=^)
What exactly are they testing it for, what tests will they be performing? As for your $ amount, you are going to have a problem if a replacement engine is needed.
Get back to us with what the shop finds wrong, before you give them authorization to do anything.

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:30 AM
|
Winching

Mike, friend, you are a sight for sore eyes. I've delayed having the shop come pick it up, and have over-nighted a new thermostat. I want to make sure I didn't somehow get TWO bad ones.

The whole situation is here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29102

Basically, sometimes my thermostat just isn't opening. It'll run fine for a day... and hour.. then suddenly it'll close up, start blowing cold air, and if I don't shut it down, start climbing in temp.

So far, and since I am a freak about watching the gauges ALL the time as much as I watch the road- it hasn't "over" heated.

It's just gotten warmer than it normally does.

I already changed the thermostat, and it's doing the exact same thing. Bled the system.

I'll let you know what a new t-stat does- but any other ideas?

THANKS!

Pat

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:34 AM
Mudding

Mine cost $4,500 for a used engine. It was 3,500 with shipping included (Came from California to Alabama), it had 50,000 miles on it. The shop charged me $1,000 for installation and changing all of my gaskets.

At the time, there was one in Arizona with 90,000 miles for $3000, so depending on how many miles you'd like on your engine, you MIGHT be able to find one. Good luck with your searches :-)

Quick Reply: New 4.6 L Block