Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brake caliper - now, severe wheel knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake caliper - now, severe wheel knock

2000 Disco 2, replaced front brake pads and a seized caliper yesterday. Took her out for a test drive, noticed a severe wheel knock on the front passenger side ( side with the seized caliper).

The knock is rotational, i.e., oscillates faster and slower based on how fast I'm going. When I turn the wheel to the left, the knock lessens significantly. Turn to the right, it worsens (gets louder) significantly.

I took the wheel off to check my work, nothing loose or obvious. Any clues, gents?

Tia,
Steve

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Mudding

Sounds like a warped rotor.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The cheapest thing to do would be to swap the front rotors from side to side and see if the knock follows.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Are your 3 Amigos in your face? I doubt it will be warped rotors, I am thinking speed sensor, if your 3 amigos are on, possibly a failing CV joint or you didn't torques everything back down.
By the way when replacing a caliper on the front end, it is usually wise to replace both sides so they brake equally.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, guys, for your responses. Mike, Yes, my 3 amigos are illuminated, as they have been for the two years I've owned the vehicle.

I'm inclind to suspect the rotor as well. One thing that I neglected to mention, is that on the on side with the seized caliper, the brake pad had slipped out of the caliper housing and had lodged itself between the lower part of the caliper housing and the rotor. I drove on it for a few miles, to get her home, thinking that the noise was just typical pad wear. I was clearly wrong. It was so well-jammed in there, that I had to take a hammer to a chisel in order to free it.

I was thinking CV joints or wheel bearings myself. I checked my work and I did properly tighten everything up.

I like Spike's advice. It's cheap and I'll know in a couple of hours where my problem is.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, with the siezed caliper, it would cause excess heat on that rotor...My guess is that, rotors aren't that badly priced, I usually replace them with the pads... but back to noises, when driving straight and not braking any noise, what about turning either direction while driving and not breaking... I'd suspect the hub/bearing if noise happens in the turns

Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Discovery_Scott
In my opinion, with the siezed caliper, it would cause excess heat on that rotor...My guess is that, rotors aren't that badly priced, I usually replace them with the pads... but back to noises, when driving straight and not braking any noise, what about turning either direction while driving and not breaking... I'd suspect the hub/bearing if noise happens in the turns
Yes, worsens when I turn right - the seized caliper was the front passenger side, lessens whe. I turn the wheel left. Didn't make noise before the caliper seized, however. Only after, and after the pad dislodged from the caliper and wedged between the rotor and the caliper bracket. That's the reason that I agree with the warped rotor diagnosis. No noise before - immediate noise after.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

First things first.
Jack it up in situ - and check the wheel for play.

Make sure the lug nuts are tight. This happens.
IF the lug nuts are tight..

Look for front wheel bearing being loose.

IF the wheel bearing is fine, I would check that the caliper was installed correctly and is not loose.

Also - are the rotors bolted to the hub correctly? Or is that loose?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jfall
First things first.
Jack it up in situ - and check the wheel for play.

Make sure the lug nuts are tight. This happens.
Right. It happened. Lugs for whatever reason were loose. Took the wheel off, re-tightened the lugs, all's well.

Thanks for your responses, guys!

Steve