Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bumper/Brush Guard for Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bumper/Brush Guard for Disco II

My 2002 Disco II was recently hit while parked, cracking the front plastic bumper cover. Since I have some money from the insurance settlement for a replacement, I'm considering replacing the bumper with steel ARB or TJM model.

Before the accident, I was considering simply putting a Land Rover Brush Bar on the front, the wrap-around model found here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC50022G.cfm

But I like the idea of replacing the weak factory bumper with something more sturdy. I do take my Disco off-road, but I'm not into serious off-roading, mostly climbing the dirt roads/trails above Santa Barbara. I'm also new to Land Rovers, having owned mine for about 8 months now.

So my questions are these:

1. Should I consider an ARB or a TJM steel bull bar bumper? If so, which one?

2. Will either the ARB or the TJM be problematic if I'm not currently considering any other serious off-road modifications? (I read in a forum that their weight may produce front end sag?)

3. Is the factory brush guard worth anything at all? Or is it considered more of a fashion accessory than off road protection?

4. Does anyone make a rear steel bumper for the Disco II? I've already had the rear bumper replaced as well, and that damage actually happened off road--I was shooting out of a washed-out creek bed and the underside of the bumper caught a boulder.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions...

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: New Bumper/Brush Guard for Disco II

There are 3 bumpers out there, the 2 you have mentioned as well as the RTE, or you can make your own, like I did.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RTE seems to always get the biggest kudos. They have front and rear HD bumpers. ARB offers an SRS compatible bull bar, but they can kill your approach angle. On other forums people seem to like Greg Davis bumpers too.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want to get out of the ARB mentality, watch some one, while they are winching a friend out of a hole, using a winch mounted to an ARB, it is crazy. The bumper will twist and flex as if it is going to come right off the front of the truck.