Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CB

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New CB

Finally broke down and got a new CB for some of the off roading trips coming up like SCARR. I had a handheld Midland model but even with my Firestick antenna it wasn't very good on reception and transmission. I went with a Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel with NOAA station weather access and $99 from Amazon seemed ok for what you get. Think I will go ahead and mount it on the dash above the radio. It is too big to go above the windshield and I already have a voltage inverter mounted just behind the center console; also don't think having it there is convenient for making adjustments or channel changes while keeping my eyes on my driving.

Amazon.com: Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel CB Radio with Instant Access 10 NOAA Weather Stations and Selectable 4 Color Display: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel CB Radio with Instant Access 10 NOAA Weather Stations and Selectable 4 Color Display: Car Electronics

Will post some pictures when I get it installed.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't expect too much from a CB. The most important thing you can do is set the SNR (signal noise ratio). The meters are cheap. I have seen untrimmed antennas with 4:1 ratios. That means every watt you put into the antenna only transmits 1/4 watt (25%). Once you are all tuned they are pretty much line of sight.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Mudding
Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

pretty good deal, there.
i assume you had the 75-822.... thats what I (very rarely) use. I am fine with it.
I will be interested to hear your input on any performance improvements.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark d
Don't expect too much from a CB. The most important thing you can do is set the SNR (signal noise ratio). The meters are cheap. I have seen untrimmed antennas with 4:1 ratios. That means every watt you put into the antenna only transmits 1/4 watt (25%). Once you are all tuned they are pretty much line of sight.
Standing wave ratio - swr

Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Mudding

Opps, I was hoping no one would catch that. Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that cb, it's ok, no good ground planes on a disco with a massive firestick unless you slap it on the roof and have a 15 foot tall clearance and drill holes. mines on the rear tire mount, with a spring adapter the swr was off the chart, the tip adjustment was to short so id either have to cut the antenna or ditch the spring, which i did since the antenna is rather flexible to begin with. i hit it when i go to the bank under the drop ceiling for the teller booths but the antenna flexes back and makes a cool noise and makes lines on thier roof hahahhaa.

the other issue with that radio is however is that it draws good current even OFF. i unplug the power connector when I park, a 2-3 day sit such as a weekend or if you go away on vacation and the battery will be dead. cobra sent me another radio but had the same problems. also, the swr adjuster screw INSIDE the radio had to be modified, they sent me instructions and it was easy, but its not set up factory to work well with the length of cable needed to hook up an external antenna on a long car. strange, i know. its also slow as **** to scan the cb channels, and always defaults to the same channel, and you cant change that. its also massive.

thinking back, i dont recommend it at all hahaha, get a handheld cb, just as effective in the woods. after all that, i got my tech and general ham, and gprs liscense, far better in every possible way then cb. tech test was easy as hell anyway, and gprs liscense doesnt evne have a test, send the fcc the $ and your good for 15 years. just toss 2 in the truck, and give one to whoever you are on the trail with. most gprs radios use frs frequencies anway and they are dirt cheap... plus can use them anytime anywhere if you go hiking, mountain biking, to a theme park with the family, in someone elses cars on a roadtrip, where ever.