Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Day New Problems...02 sensor codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New Day New Problems...02 sensor codes

NOW...new problem. 03D2. I am getting random 02 sensor codes. Probably from the water that went into my pipes with the blown head gasket or maybe from me cleaning everything under the hood while I had it apart even though I had all connectors wrapped up and taped up. If I remember right I was starting to get some bank 2 sensor 1 codes and purge valve codes before I had the head gasket problems and I cleaned the connectors on the 02's and it fixed it for awhile but, that's not working this time.

Today I got 0150 and 0130 pending, then I reset it and then after driving it got 0150, 0130 and 1129 (I think it was 1129) anyway, no way my 02 sensors are reversed, so cleaned the connectors, cleared it and drove it and got 0130, 0441, 0154. cleared it, drove it and then got 0150 and 0174. Seems like I got a 0155 once too during all this. It's mostly been 0150 over and over. So I guess first thing I need to do is change the front 02 sensors since they have never been changed at almost 150k and go from there? I checked for 02 activity on my UG and it shows both front sensors going up and down from zero up to 700 something. Rear two 02's were constant at 400 something all morning and now have changed to bank 2 sensor 2 sitting at 900 something and bank 1 sensor 2 sitting at 150 something.

So I am running real lean and shrt and lng term fuel trim on bank 2 is sitting at 25.00 most of the time with shrt fuel trim bank 2 moving from 0.00 to 11.00 to 25.00 depending on rpm and idle is a little rough, it will idle good and then get rough and then good again. Bank 1 fuel trims look good sitting around -0.78 to 2.00 something. Both long and shrt fuel trim on bank 2 are sitting at 25.00 most of the time.

I think one of the codes was for purge valve, but it has never came back up. I also checked all of my vacuum lines and other sensor connectors and all are good. Also checked gas cap and is on tight? Don't know how else to check that? I do have a cracked clip on my air filter box lid but, that is upstream from the MAF, so probably not the culprit, it's fits tight and has been broken for years. I also re-torqued all of my exhaust manifold and downpipe bolt/nuts and upper intake bolts and didn't help. I hope I don't have a vacuum leak around my lower intake or injectors? I torqued lower intake to spec, 38 ft lbs if I remember right.

I suppose I will order the front sensors and if that doesn't sort it out I will go from there. Anybody have any ideas on where to start? 02 sensors?

Last edited by RicketyTick; 06-27-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I think your o2 replacement is a good plan of attack. Bosch be the recommendation. I found best price at parts geek

Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
I think your o2 replacement is a good plan of attack. Bosch be the recommendation. I found best price at parts geek
Ok thanks! sounds like a plan.

I see Amazon has them for 52.61 each with free shipping and parts geek has them for 50.35 plus shipping so either way but wonder which one is easiest to return to in case of a problem or defective part? I read so much about defective bosch sensors. I'm wondering if I'll get good ones or bad ones. May not be totally true though?
I think 15175 is the correct part number for front on an 03 correct?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

That is correct #.
Amazon is usually faster shipping

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
That is correct #.
Amazon is usually faster shipping
Cool! I'll order those now. thanks for the help. I need em anyway even it it doesn't totally fix my problem, can't hurt my gas mileage.

I've had this truck for almost 8 years and never had to buy any parts till now and looks like I'm going to have to change every part on it. But I still like it and couldn't do without it. I went a couple months driving my work van while I worked on my head gaskets in my spare time and I got stuck on wet grass twice. Couldn't pull my trailer out of the back yard after it sprinkled. One wheel drive? wonder who came up with that idea?

Last edited by RicketyTick; 06-27-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
One wheel drive? wonder who came up with that idea?
This Guy.

Attached Thumbnails New Day New Problems...02 sensor codes-pirate.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

One wheel drive? wonder who came up with that idea?

or this guy

Attached Thumbnails New Day New Problems...02 sensor codes-white-trash-repairs-penny-farthing-its-teenage-years.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 05:38 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

When headgaskets go bad, there is a chance antifreeze will go out into the exhaust manifolds and down the Y pipe and will coat and ruin the O2 sensors.

Enough antifreeze over time also ruins the cats.

See
http://jeffreyfall.com/landrover

for the real life adventure backing up what I am saying.

The FUN never ends.

Once all this is replaced, you'll go for at least 30,000 miles with no codes probably.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jfall
When headgaskets go bad, there is a chance antifreeze will go out into the exhaust manifolds and down the Y pipe and will coat and ruin the O2 sensors.

Enough antifreeze over time also ruins the cats.

See
http://jeffreyfall.com/landrover

for the real life adventure backing up what I am saying.

The FUN never ends.

Once all this is replaced, you'll go for at least 30,000 miles with no codes probably.
Ok thanks, good to hear it may only be the 02 sensors. I ordered the two front bosch 15175 02's last night, shipped today and supposed to be here Tuesday. I'll probably order the rear two in a few days since they have never been changed.

I also ordered a 22mm offset socket with the little arm on it for 3/8 drive. I probably should have ordered the 1/2 drive straight 02 socket so I could put a wobble extension and my impact on it. Didn't think about it till I had already placed my order. Maybe I can get them out with the little one I ordered? at least maybe I can tap on the arm with a hammer.

My headgasket did blow internally but on the #7 cylinder and filled #7 up along with my throttle body and more but, I'm mainly throwing codes on bank 2. I suppose antifreeze got on all of it since it took 45 minutes to burn off after the headgasket job. I probably should have dropped the y-pipe and dumped it all out right when I started. I drained my oil right away but didn't even think about the y-pipe. May have ruined my cats?Hope not! I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Been driving today and getting only 0150 code, clear it and it comes right back. I've re-cleaned and checked the pins on my connector so it's probably the sensor. I hope! I'll see what the two front 02 sensors do for it.

Will bad 02 sensors cause my long and shrt fuel trim on bank 2 to be sitting at 25.00 ? Probably so I'm guessing.

And it's idling like crap. With the A/C on it idles up to about 750 and better but without A/C about 650 but not a smooth idle for sure. It comes and goes.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Never drop the Y pipe just for the fun of it.
The bolts into the exhaust manifold will snap for sure.

Then you need to drill them out and tap them over.
And get new exhaust studs from Rimmer Brothers - Triumph Car Parts, MG Rover Car Parts, and Land Rover Car Parts and Spares

Anything exhaust best to not touch it unless you absolutely have to.

Quick Reply: New Day New Problems...02 sensor codes