Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New disco driver with coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New disco driver with coolant issue

Hi guys,
just need some guidance... Yesterday I was driving and noticed my temperature gauge start to rise, I was a bit confused at first as I recently checked and topped off all fluid levels. Then it started heading to the red, so I tried to get to the nearest gas station , which becsuse of my location was 5 mins away...within a couple of minutes or so I got to a stop light and the rover just stalled out, a ton of smoke and that was that, there was a bunch of coolant on the road. Ended up having to get a tow back home.
This morning I just went and checked, there's a bunch of coolant obviously on the inside wheel wall on the passenger side. I filled the reservoir back up and the engine idles perfectly. Sounds brand new actually. The only weird thing is the gas pedal is stuck.
​​​​​​ So here's the thing, I'm new to owning a disco myself, I know plenty about its issues and quirks tho since a lot of my friends and family owned them back home in England so I get there's going to be these issues but this took me by surprise. I asked my wife if she had noticed anything over the last few days and she said no...however she did say that there was a sweet smell at times which I think I smelled also, but nothing too obvious

Can someone point me in the right direction to begin with. Really appreciate your help/advice

Jordan

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Does she smell the "sweet" smell in the front or rear (by exhaust)? Could have a small leak in the engine compartment, if up front...if in the rear...most likely the head gasket or worse. Refill and bleed and watch it closely for the next few days. Hopefully, you didn't harm anything letting it go red on the gauge. Also, what year/engine are we talking about here?

Brian.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:34 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Brian,

My wife didn't tell me where she smelled the sweet smell but I think I smelt it up front.
Its a 04 SE I just took the coolant reservoir out and looked at the hoses, no apparent leaks anywhere from them, all seem to be in great condition.
The gas pedal won't budge right now and that's what's puzzling me.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

"A ton of smoke" means steam ? From the exhaust or the engine compartment ?

Check if the throttle butterfly is stuck from rust from a coolant leak at that location, which would be sucked by engine and vomited at the tail pipe as steam.

Seems your coolant boiled because of overheating or lack of pressure due to a leak.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 AM
6th Gear

Sorry, yes prob steam. It was late and I didn't see what it was initially. But yes your right, prob steam as it was coming from the engine bay. Ok so I figure I'll fill it with coolant and turn it on and see if I can find a leak... Then I'll check back in.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

No one has said this yet but - passenger side check the throttle body heater. It is right under the throttle body where it mates up with the hose. If the hose lets go or the clamp is weak you would get a lot of anti-freeze right there, and on to the exhaust manifold.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

It would be better to top off, bleed, then put a pressure tester on it to look for leaks. Pump the pressure tester up to 18 psi then see how long that holds. You can get the pressure tester from any auto parts store.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

^ X2.. that happened to me. Was driving down the road, saw steam coming up from under the hood and coolant was spewing all over the place. Throttle body heater plate has a gasket that can go bad. It's right on top - square looking thing: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM...SABEgLAGPD_BwE

Externet mentioned the throttle butterfly.. that combined with throttle body heater plate could be causing your issues...?.. (ie; no throttle/gas pedal/coolant smell)..

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 07-24-2018 at 10:32 AM.