Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco Owner 2004SE From EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco Owner 2004SE From EBAY

Good Morning Y'all,

I'm new here and new to Land Rover. I've wanted one for years and was scarred to death after reading all the comsumer reports. We'll I finally took the big splash and bought one off Ebay from a Land Rover dealer in Chattanooga.

Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. 2004 SEwith 17,500 miles for $23k?? Has a 2" Old Man Emu lift and snorkel. Research showed it to have good history and was sold originally and maintained through the dealer selling it now.

Anyway, I'm flying to TN to pick it up this weekend and drive it back to the Northwest over the weekend. I suppose the 2000 mile drive will let me know if I have a deal or not...hahaha

Anyway, hada question...I've seen Hi-Lift jacks mounted on the back of the spare tire before. Is this mounting kit from Hi-Lift, Land Rover or custom jobber? Additionally, are there any performance chips that anyone would recomend?

Thanks all. I'm excited to finaly own the Land Rover Disco.

Cheers,

Curt

Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: New Disco Owner 2004SE From EBAY

Good luck with the new truck, sounds like you got a freat deal.
As for the High Lift mount, http://www.safarigard.com/ used to sell them, you might check and see if they still have them. If not I have a used one I would be interested in selling.
Mike

Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi Kurt,
Congrats on the ride, I think I saw that one on EBay, what a beauty!
I think you got a great deal, we paid $23k for our SE here in Big D last November, but it had 36k miles. No need to be too worried, it should serve you well for years to come. Just remember during your 2000 mile drive to fill 'er up with premium & heck it wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of Seafoam in the tank when you start the trip. Also one other thing to be aware of that I learned, your '04 model includes regular maintenance even down to the battery so I'd take her in to your local Rover dealer & let them print out a service history for you as well.

Take care & enjoy the ride,
Walter

Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were wise to drive it despite the distance. I went with an auto transport company and that was a disaster. Took almost two months to get it. What a messed up industry. Let us know how it drives.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Mudding

Up date on the marathon trip to retreive my new Disco bought on Ebay...

Aside from the layover for a day and a half in Houston due to bad weather the trip was uneventful. I arrived in Chattanooga over a day late to pick up the 2004 dico from the Rover dealer there. Very kind people.

Was on the road by 11am bound for southern Idaho. The dico was in great shape and gassed up. The Old Man Emu suspension was a bit stiff and corners took a little getting used to. Had a good 'ol time figuring out what all the buttons and switches did.

MPG was disapointing but right in line with all the literature I read before buying the rig. The trip was 1,921 miles that I did single handed in 27 hrs with a 4 hr nap at the red carpet inn in Lincoln, NE. I cruised at about 78 mph on the entire trip and average MPG was 14.2. Total fuel consumption about 135 gallons. Another suprise to me was that premium gasoline is required. I thought this odd as Disco's are famous for traveling trails through out undeveloped areas of the world.

It was fun trying to figure out why Land Rover chose to place switches where they were. There is no obvious logic to the placment of the controls. Case in point, why is the electric door locks mounted on the dash on the passanger side? Why are the window controls on the console where driver has to take his eyes off the road to make sure he's not switching on the heated seats instead of opening a window. And why, oh why is the door handle located way up front almost underneithe the dash??

Well I had 27 hours to ponder these questions. Overall, I'm satisfied with the Land Rover. I got a fair deal and the dealership was very helpful.

Thanks Y'all - Yak at you another time.

CPB

Old 07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The switch locations will require getting used to. But now after owning it for a while the window switches make good sense to me as I barely have to raise my arm from the console to roll up/down. Congrats on the purchase and it sounds like you got a good deal, welcome to the world of Land Rover.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On the off chance we take the Cadillac somewhere, I find myself hitting the wrong buttons, or feeling up the center console to roll down the windows. You will get used to it. Not to bad on the MPG for 78. It takes a lot to get a 3 ton dishwasher going that fast, especially with a lift. Congrats on the purchase, it's what I want to get when I grow up.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on your new Disco. As for the buttons, LR ships all over the world to countries that are either lh drive or right hand drive. Putting the buttons in the middle of the console, making the dash symetrical, locating the R-N-D-D1-D2-D3 on both sides of the stick, etc. make it so they don't have to create different parts for different steering wheel placements. Quite witty, actually!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:41 PM
ajh
Winching

The reason for the odd switch placement is to reduce the amount of wire going into the doors. I just finished re-running a lot of my wiring wrapping it etc, as well as doing a check and there's a whole lot more cabling in there than you'd think would be needed (sometimes the Brits just don't know when to choose simple over complex, and this comes to the forefront when electricity is involved.. ask any Aston Martin owner... ) so having it all run down the centre makes some sense.