Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco owner needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco owner needs help

I have recently purchased a 1996 Discovery with 79K. I In the first week I had to replace the Y-pipe $$$$ and some tires.
The problem that cased my cat to go out has been found and repaired (bad injector from old gas from the guy I bought it from)
Well about the time the converter went out my check engine light went on. I have found instructions about poking the pin in that emissions
box under the kick panel. I looked for it and it seems it is missing?? I went to an Auto Zone to have them run a computer check and they had no idea
how to help me with this strange "land rover" vehicle they have only heard about in this area. No help there. Can someone please give me some way to
shut this off! I am about to just snip the wire to the light!

Also I noticed that my disco was slightly leaning to the front passenger side. I took a look under and found some random coil spring on that side that did not match the others? Whatever? I have decided just to replace it all with OME medium coils and shocks. Can someone give me some comfirmation that this was a good choice? I am alone i this area with my disco and need some encouragment!

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Disco owner needs help

I have had the OME springs and shocks for three years now and love them. I suggest finding a good local mechanic. The "strange" Land Rover is a Buick 289 engine and they should be able to repair it just fine.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling

rravenn, I have a '96 Discovery also. I've had it for about 5 years now and I like it alot. You can turn off the 'service engine' light manually, but not the 'check engine' light (called CEL). To turn off the check engine light you need an OBDII reader, or they can read the codes and turn it off at Autozone. The plug for the reader is right under the dash on the driver's side. It's brown IIRC, and about 2 inches long right up against the bottom of the dash. Actually the engine is a Buick 215 aluminum block. Take care with the gas, it must take premium and I use Chevron with Techron, otherwise you will have problems.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

OME is a great way to go when you are ready to change out your suspension. How mechanical are you? Two people can install the new suspension on your drive way in an afternoon saving you upwards of $300 in labor.
When you get ready and I will put you in touch with a great on-line Rover supplier for OME coils and springs.
Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Very helpful! Hey disco mike, I actually already ordered ome shocks coils and a stabelizer with shipping for about $715. Hope I did OK?
Would I be able to do this with a floor jack? Any tips or tricks to getting the job done? I am not much of a mechanic.
Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Too bad, I can get the set for about $650, Oh Well next time.
Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on a fishing trip last weekend where I ascended several thousand feet within a relatively small distance. Check engine light came on. Stopped by an autozone for the hell of it and they couldn't scan it. The guy said people come in all the time cause they trip thier system due to such a sudden change in elevation. So I think Autozones scanners aren't Land Rover compatible. Which I don't get cause it's OBD II compliant. I believe softaware has to be loaded onto the scanner in order for it to recognize a rover. Anyone else other then the individual who started this thread have the same problem with Autozone? Turns out it was just an O2 sensor sayin runnin rich or something (figures cause it was uphill the whole time and I wasvirtually flooring it to get up it). Doesn't bother me cause I have my own scanner but would be good general knowledge for rover people if in fact Autozone is unable to scan.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 AM
4wd Low

Hi there rravenn,
we have the same disco,,i think you better have a tune up and have your engine cleaned up to remove all the carbon in the fuel injector. I think they have that machine where they run your engine but not using your fuel tank filled with injector cleaner fluid to remove the dirt. And try changing your fuel filter.
Focus first in your engine then try to resolve your shock absorber thing hehehe

Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

It is not Auto Zones fault they could get their OBD2 scanner to communicate with your truck, sometimes Rovers don't communicate, sometines the connector get dirty and somtimes one of the pins in the connector gets pulled out.
Mike