Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery 2 Owner Sorting The 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New Disco 2! 3 amigos solved And Other New Owner Issues!

my rig is new to me with SES and 3 amigos lights. Tires way too big for stock height 285 70 16. Valve covers dumping oil like the gov't was handing out motor oil like free covid vaccines. High beam headlights only turn on when holding the stalk.

please follow along to see how not to spend your stimmy money.

Last edited by PickleRick; 07-09-2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

so first up was the SES. I had a gaping hole in the rh side exhaust pipe by the primary o2 sensor casing a lean/miss in cyl 8. This was an easy fix to weld up where a new exhaust pipe was half way welded in. Went to work with my flux core Lincoln bubble gum welder and no more cyl 8 miss or lean condition cel but the o2 sensor are covered in oil. They are likely shorted and old. New ones (bosch) are on their way along with new felpro gaskets.

She has a new thermostat and radiator. Runs a good 199 temp around town and 206 to 208 at traffic lights. Good cold ac. No signs of head gasket issues.

as for the 3 amigos, option b has been done. I verified good ground on mod and good solider joints.

so now into wheel hub and abs sensor inspection. Any guidance or input is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling

I cleared the codes associated with the 3 amigos with intentions of testing all my abs sensors and wheel hub bearings at lunch. I didn't get to them.

The abs light came back on when I started to head home then went out at about 15 mph, didn't come back on after about an hour drive.

Maybe the PO did the option b mod and then didn't get the codes cleared.

went to test the 4L on the way home and she's stuck in 4h so I have a solenoid and or cable issue. I'll delete the solenoid if I can find how to, replace cable is necessary.

had some bubbling coming from resevrior on shut down, cap was noticeably loose, hoping that's the culprit as I have never heard it to this before and i checked the fluid level the other night. No signs of leaks. The PO did not install new hoses when he did radiator and thermostat. I need to rig up a cap to pressurized this to 17-18 psi for an hour to see if I have a small leak somewhere. God forbid it have a head gasket leak although some fj80 axles, 6 inches of lift, and either a 2.0 tdi or 5.3 ls would make this a little more interesting ride.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling

So stupid question, the 4l lock out solenoid.

can i remove it and remove the pin, then reinstall? This way all i need to worry about is the engagement cable.

i realize the issues that could occur if one was to slam the TC (transfer box for the UK bunch) into low at 75 mph. Coming from a 86 fj60, 67 fj40 and current 87 4 runner we have never had safety lock outs in our 4x4 transfer cases before.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Another update: the drivers door lock free spins so we can't lock the doors. Ive got to get into the door this weekend to figure out what i need to do to repair.

I've also ordered a keyless entry key fob. The snap on scanner has enabled me to match/sync keys fobs to much newer vehicles. I'll try to gain keyless entry the moment it arrives. As for the key cutting, i do have a key cutter but so far I've only successfully cut one double sided key. I have house keys and old GM single side keys down but I've ruined some ford and motorcycle blanks. I think once i program the key ill take it a local mom and pops place to be cut.

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (07-09-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Got the transfer case sorted. While changing fluid in all the diffs/tc I noticed worries hanging loose on the transfer case. Plugged them back on. Crank the old rover up, shift tranny into netural and the transfer case shifts like butter. I thought it would shift in gear up to 5 mph but so long as it shifts no matter, I've never liked shifting a t/c moving anyway

also sorted a door issue where you have to yank the door to open it. Adjusted the rod just a bit and ordered the locking pin upgrade to fix the rotating door lock cylinder. Was considering making one out of key stock but for 30 bucks shipped I'm not going to waste my time.

Can anyone comment on thr terraform 3 inch lift kit? The little lady likes her 285 70 17s and i don't want to put a body kit or spacer lift on old springs/shocks. I don't like the tucked look of the oversized tires on what appears to be stock suspension. The only reason i have a body lift on my 1st gen 4 runner is because the VW diesel has a front sump pick up and even with the lowest profile possible pan installed i need clearance for the ifs.