Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery Owner with two issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
This same thing happened to someone else just the other day. Maybe try logging out and sign back in... Just a thought. Good Luck with your Rover!!!
Tries it, but didn't work.

Actually its not a regular dealer. These are guys that just sell cars and they are mechanics too. They seem honest and been helpful with some other minor issues.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Drifting

I think there is a minimum post requirement to enable PMs. You are at 5 now so give it another try

Old 08-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh okay, I thought you meant the Land Rover stealership! That's always a bad idea!!
If these guys are legitimately good people and you're sure that the lifters were done, you should ask them if any of the lifters were bad or if they just changed them because they SUSPECTED they were causing the tick. The lifters are actually really good quality in our engines and rarely, if ever, fail from what I've heard. Mine's got 145,000 miles on it and all of my lifters are in great condition even the one that had the cam bearing rubbing against it for about (at least) 10,000 miles. Having said that, I'm not so sure about slipping liners either. I had heard so much about this happening that I half expected to have one or two slipped liners in mine when I got the heads off but, no none of them slipped. I think that's more the exception, not the rule with these engines. Chances are, if everything in the heads and lifter valley looks okay (meaning, rocker arms, rocker shafts, lifters, push-rods, etc.) and you have no slipped liners, and oil pressure readings are good, it's probably just piston slap. The only thing that will fix that is new pistons to replace the ones with collapsed skirts. Good Luck, I hope you get it figured out! Keep us posted on your progress, and don't get too excited if it goes away for a few days sometimes, mine does that but always came back.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Overlanding

If these guys are legitimately good people and you're sure that the lifters were done, you should ask them if any of the lifters were bad or if they just changed them because they SUSPECTED they were causing the tick.
I will ask them when I see them again. They seem to be okay, but as you know, most people selling cars usually have an interest of doing as little as possible and hoping you just go away. So far they've been pretty good, but then again, they havent been able to fix the tick or tremor issue.

Chances are, if everything in the heads and lifter valley looks okay (meaning, rocker arms, rocker shafts, lifters, push-rods, etc.) and you have no slipped liners, and oil pressure readings are good, it's probably just piston slap.
I had gone to another land rover mechanic and he said it didn't sound like a piston slap, but just a soft tab. I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about, but he specialized in Land rovers.

Good Luck, I hope you get it figured out! Keep us posted on your progress, and don't get too excited if it goes away for a few days sometimes, mine does that but always came back.
THANKS. I think if was the best thing to join this forum. I just can't accept that the car I just bought has to sound like this and just have to deal with it. I was in a parking lot today and listening to the ticking and a guy came by and told me he had the same issue in his mercedes.

He told me it was gonk in the oil and he has to put something in there to get rid of it. Now he was ramdom guy, but he described the exact same symptoms. Ticking on idle and then when you speed up it goes away. It actually almost sounds like a rattle or tapping of some sort when I get closer to engine.

have you ever used the zx1 extralube?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have not tried the zx1 extralube but, I tried many of the tried and true methods of gunk-removal to no avail. I think mine also had a rattle in it from time to time and I think that was caused by the cam bearing that fell out of the block and rattled around on top of the cam. This could be the same issue you're having, the unfortunate thing about that is, you have to remove the lower intake manifold to get to the lifter valley where you can see the cam and lifters. Here's a picture of the cam bearing I pulled out of the engine after about 10,000 miles of running with it in there. I also had a few little flecks of metal in the oil when I changed it a couple of times in the past few months. I'm pretty sure that it was little chunks of this bearing settling in the oil pan.

Attached Thumbnails New Discovery Owner with two issues-cimg1114_2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I know this picture is the worst possible quality but at least you can see where it rode on the lifter and ate away at it. (It's not supposed to have that big notch!!!)

Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought an 04 and I have the same ticking at idle. Seems like the engine idles low? right at or a little above the 2nd mark on the tach what is that 2/3 of 1000 rpm.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Overlanding

I have the same kind of ticking as well, however I just did a HG job myself and saw no such cam bearing failure, it all looked good for 125k. I did notice the ticking increase with engine speed but not with sync with it. What about SAI? anyone understand what its functionality is all about and if it could be the culprit?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Overlanding

beacause when it does tick it sounds like its comming from the secondary air injection control valve, but i could be wrong..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM
4wd Low
Default I have a similar problem for 2 years now

Hi I was wondering if you ever resolved your issue with the tapping. I have had a very low tapping now which has come and gone for two years now. I hate it.