Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   new engine, no instructions, oil? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/new-engine-no-instructions-oil-75444/)

Charlie_V 09-04-2015 01:57 PM

new engine, no instructions, oil?

As everyone is nausiatedly aware, I got a parts truck and had the 4.6 redone. I'm putting it together as much as possible while I wait for the world's most expensive washers ("Dowty") to arrive.

My 4.0 has been using Rotella 15/40 for years. I live in Texas. I drive like a little old lady, speed-wise.

Any harm in continuing my Rotella use for the new engine?

OffroadFrance 09-04-2015 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 534517)
As everyone is nausiatedly aware, I got a parts truck and had the 4.6 redone. I'm putting it together as much as possible while I wait for the world's most expensive washers ("Dowty") to arrive.

My 4.0 has been using Rotella 15/40 for years. I live in Texas. I drive like a little old lady, speed-wise.

Any harm in continuing my Rotella use for the new engine?

NEVER use synthetic oils when breaking in a new engine as it'll never break in properly and is a total waste of dosh and oil. Use ordinary multigrade oils and keep the rpms lowish for the first 1500 miles.

Bom2oo2 09-04-2015 03:28 PM

I wouldn't use rotella in a gas engine anyway, specially with a higher lift cam, that's my opinion,
But I know everyone will disagree with my opinion in this forum, Because there is a big following for rotella here, if you believe same way , then keep on using it.

OffroadFrance 09-04-2015 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2 (Post 534532)
I wouldn't use rotella in a gas engine anyway, specially with a higher lift cam, that's my opinion,
But I know everyone will disagree with my opinion in this forum, Because there is a big following for rotella here, if you believe same way , then keep on using it.

They recommend Rotella for my diesel powered Kubota excavator :D good for diesels although they reckon there is other petrol oils in their range. I use Fuchs Titan in everything, different grades for different applications and it always works well for me :), they also produce Japanese spec for autoboxes which is far superior to Dexron grades.

Bom2oo2 09-04-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance (Post 534535)
They recommend Rotella for my diesel powered Kubota excavator :D good for diesels although they reckon there is other petrol oils in their range. I use Fuchs Titan in everything, different grades for different applications and it always works well for me :), they also produce Japanese spec for autoboxes which is far superior to Dexron grades.

& you are very correct, it is a very good oil ,
for diesel engines,

mln01 09-04-2015 04:56 PM

Not weighing in, exactly, but Rotella 15W–40 is not synthetic. It is full dino.

Charlie_V 09-04-2015 05:38 PM

I should have been more clear.

I use the Rotella (Dino version) for three reasons: keeps engine clean thanks to detergents, makes seals and small leaks happy, and I get it basically free because I have a small fleet of personal and commercial vehicles. But this is the only one with a NEW engine. I started using it on the rover to keep the tappets happy.

I'm just wondering if it is too thick for a non sloppy non diesel engine.

OffroadFrance 09-04-2015 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 534548)
I should have been more clear.

I use the Rotella (Dino version) for three reasons: keeps engine clean thanks to detergents, makes seals and small leaks happy, and I get it basically free because I have a small fleet of personal and commercial vehicles. But this is the only one with a NEW engine. I started using it on the rover to keep the tappets happy.

I'm just wondering if it is too thick for a non sloppy non diesel engine.

I like 'free' :) ................... but don't use too classy oil 'cos it'll never break in.

BackInA88 09-05-2015 07:09 AM

The first 30 minutes is the most important.

Charlie_V 09-05-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BackInA88 (Post 534598)
The first 30 minutes is the most important.
Cam Break In

Wow! Very informative video. Looks like I need some products...