Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new engine, no instructions, oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default new engine, no instructions, oil?

As everyone is nausiatedly aware, I got a parts truck and had the 4.6 redone. I'm putting it together as much as possible while I wait for the world's most expensive washers ("Dowty") to arrive.

My 4.0 has been using Rotella 15/40 for years. I live in Texas. I drive like a little old lady, speed-wise.

Any harm in continuing my Rotella use for the new engine?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-04-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
As everyone is nausiatedly aware, I got a parts truck and had the 4.6 redone. I'm putting it together as much as possible while I wait for the world's most expensive washers ("Dowty") to arrive.

My 4.0 has been using Rotella 15/40 for years. I live in Texas. I drive like a little old lady, speed-wise.

Any harm in continuing my Rotella use for the new engine?
NEVER use synthetic oils when breaking in a new engine as it'll never break in properly and is a total waste of dosh and oil. Use ordinary multigrade oils and keep the rpms lowish for the first 1500 miles.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I wouldn't use rotella in a gas engine anyway, specially with a higher lift cam, that's my opinion,
But I know everyone will disagree with my opinion in this forum, Because there is a big following for rotella here, if you believe same way , then keep on using it.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
I wouldn't use rotella in a gas engine anyway, specially with a higher lift cam, that's my opinion,
But I know everyone will disagree with my opinion in this forum, Because there is a big following for rotella here, if you believe same way , then keep on using it.
They recommend Rotella for my diesel powered Kubota excavator good for diesels although they reckon there is other petrol oils in their range. I use Fuchs Titan in everything, different grades for different applications and it always works well for me , they also produce Japanese spec for autoboxes which is far superior to Dexron grades.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
They recommend Rotella for my diesel powered Kubota excavator good for diesels although they reckon there is other petrol oils in their range. I use Fuchs Titan in everything, different grades for different applications and it always works well for me , they also produce Japanese spec for autoboxes which is far superior to Dexron grades.
& you are very correct, it is a very good oil ,
for diesel engines,

Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Not weighing in, exactly, but Rotella 15W–40 is not synthetic. It is full dino.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy

I should have been more clear.

I use the Rotella (Dino version) for three reasons: keeps engine clean thanks to detergents, makes seals and small leaks happy, and I get it basically free because I have a small fleet of personal and commercial vehicles. But this is the only one with a NEW engine. I started using it on the rover to keep the tappets happy.

I'm just wondering if it is too thick for a non sloppy non diesel engine.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I should have been more clear.

I use the Rotella (Dino version) for three reasons: keeps engine clean thanks to detergents, makes seals and small leaks happy, and I get it basically free because I have a small fleet of personal and commercial vehicles. But this is the only one with a NEW engine. I started using it on the rover to keep the tappets happy.

I'm just wondering if it is too thick for a non sloppy non diesel engine.
I like 'free' ................... but don't use too classy oil 'cos it'll never break in.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The first 30 minutes is the most important.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by BackInA88
The first 30 minutes is the most important.
Cam Break In
Wow! Very informative video. Looks like I need some products...

Quick Reply: new engine, no instructions, oil?