Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust, Lots of Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust, Lots of Backfire

Hi,
new member here

i just bought a 1994 V8 ES with LPG as the new family car, but it had a few problems.

the exhaust middle box had a crack in it which was causing a hell of alot of noise. so i decided to get it changed.

went to kwik-fit and they said they wouldnt fit any because they can only supply one make which they know causes problems and explodes.

so i went to a local exhaust place, paid £220 and they fitted a new middle & rear box.

Drove 5 miles, then startes hearing some popping sounds, stopped looked under the car and heared backfiring from the middle box which looked like it was gonna explode.

Went back 2 the place and they said its because the car was overfueling.

Now, when i asked what make the exhaust they fitted it was the same one kwik-fit would supply.

it wasnt backfiring with the old cracked box.. but im worried now as i dont know who to believe.

Has anyone had any experiences with these boxes, could the original LR box fix this prob.??

Please help as i need to sort this car on monday.

Thanks Guys

UPDATE: Now the car is idling at 250rpm in Drive and jumps constantly between 250-1000 in Neutral??

Please help, getting really worried now

Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Exhaust, Lots of Backfire

The exhaust shop is correct in saying that the backfire is caused by overfueling. Unburned fuel is making it's way into the box and igniting. Based on your update about the idle speed, it sounds to me like you may have some spark-related issues (either fouled plugs, plug wires, ignition, etc.). The up-and-down idle may indicate that some of the cylinders are only firing some of the time (and every time they're not firing, the unburnedfuel is just being evacuated out the exhaust.......and ignited after building up in the muffler).

I'd start by checking your spark.If you haven't changed plugs and wires in a while, probably worth doing. Even if that's not the end route of the problem.....it can't hurt.

Good luck.