Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gauge mounting point pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New gauge mounting point pics

I just finished taking down the headliner, and trying to patch a leak. I say try because I'm not sure I totally got it. It is a pesky SOB. Anyhow, I did the headliner strip and paint while it was off and cut some holes for my oil and temp gauges. I have installed the oil one, and am waiting on the free temp one. The company I got it from (Intellitronix) will send you a free gauge if you post a youtube video of one of their gauges installed in your vehicle. I would say jump all over this, but come to find out the overall price for two is similar to other brands like Glowshift. Reason being is because you have to buy the sending units separately. Oh well. So, as for the mounting point, I cut two 2'' holes with a holesaw bit where the homelink system would normally go (I don't have it). I used super glue to hold the cover in place after cutting. It works well and I think it looks almost factory. Anxious to get the second one in to finish it off. What do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_0700_zps036412c8.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  76.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0701_zps328bfb4a.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  61.5 KB

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a really clean good looking install. Excellent idea!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Bob Jones
That is a really clean good looking install. Excellent idea!
Thanks! It dims with the headlights on, and is not distracting at all. I like it a lot.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks really slick. If I didn't have and regurlarly use my homelink, I would definitely attempt this. How's the angle on the gauge? Is it pretty easy to read at that angle? I imagine with the digital dial it's pretty easy...

Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bballjames
That looks really slick. If I didn't have and regurlarly use my homelink, I would definitely attempt this. How's the angle on the gauge? Is it pretty easy to read at that angle? I imagine with the digital dial it's pretty easy...
Yea, just move my eyes. Very easy to see and very easy not to see if you don't want to. I think it's perfect, but I may be bias. I wouldn't have attempted it unless I had the headliner out already, but it could easily be done with it still in there too. You would just need to remove the map holder for cutting, and cut some half moons in the headliner behind it.

Last edited by MC04DII; 01-25-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Yea, just move my eyes
That's a major advantage of dial gauges. You don't even have to move your eyes from the road. If they are located well and clocked so "normal" is at 12 (or 3 or 9 depending on the format) you will notice from your peripheral vision that something is amiss.
If they can't be placed so you can see them in your peripheral vision, your glance at them will take less time as it's easier to process yes/no the needle is where it's supposed to be, than it is to process raw numbers.
System voltage is about the only thing that really benefits from exact numbers since even a small variation there can mean problems.
But then I'm not a fan of electrical gauges anyway, other than a voltmeter, so digital is a moot point for me.

Last edited by antichrist; 01-25-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
That's a major advantage of dial gauges. You don't even have to move your eyes from the road. If they are located well and clocked so "normal" is at 12 (or 3 or 9 depending on the format) you will notice from your peripheral vision that something is amiss.
If they can't be placed so you can see them in your peripheral vision, your glance at them will take less time as it's easier to process yes/no the needle is where it's supposed to be, than it is to process raw numbers.
System voltage is about the only thing that really benefits from exact numbers since even a small variation there can mean problems.
But then I'm not a fan of electrical gauges anyway, other than a voltmeter, so digital is a moot point for me.
Well, if ever get in a wreck because of it I'll let you say I told ya so. I like it as is, and since it isn't a dragster or race car where every split second of time counts, I won't worry about what is basically looking at my rearview mirror.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Everyone has different priorities. Just responding to your "What do you guys think?" question.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
Everyone has different priorities. Just responding to your "What do you guys think?" question.
I do get your point, and I agree. I just think it looks cooler digital.