Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Goodies for Disco :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Goodies for Disco :)

After reading through the forum, I went ahead and ordered the following on my 03' Disco 68K miles.

1. Greasable front shaft
2. Arnott airbags
3. Billstein shocks
4. OME steering stabalizer
5. Magnecor wires 8mm

I hope these make my ride even better, I really enjoy my new disco. I replaced the airbags because my rear sags most everytime I park it. If new bags dont work, I will have to give out my telephone number so someone can walk me through other diaognostic to solve it.

Last edited by GODSDOZER; 08-25-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: oops forgot an item
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You're kind of going at your problem backwards. You do the troubleshooting then replace parts. Do you have any reason to think the problem is the airbags other than the rear sagging? There are quite a few components in the system that could cause that. Arnott airbags are a good choice but swapping parts is a terrible way to go about troubleshooting.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Drifting

I thought I had read a few places that after 5 years or so you should replace the airbags. I realize that may or may not fix ride height problems but since my disco is a 03" and from time to time, I will be towing a large bass boat with it, I wanna make sure I do not have a air bag bust (due to age) while on the highway.

Thanks
Godsdozer

Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Here are my air ride symptoms.

1. My trucks rear-end lowers when I turn my engine off. sometimes it goes all the way down and sometimes it only goes down a alittle. Most of the time it goes all the way down.

2. When I turn the disco off and step out, I can hear air leaking. Most of the leak seems to be from the drivers side near the rear wheel area. I think I might hear some air leaking from the passenger side rear wheel, but it is not as pronounced as the drivers side wheel area.

3. If my truck is running, they both air up and seem to hold the proper height.

4. Sometimes when i turn my truck off, the drivers side of the vehicle will sag a bit more than the passenger side.

I want to keep the air suspension I do not want to switch to springs. Since money is not an issue with me, I just wanna fix the truck the right way and I want it to operate as it was designed. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

GODSDOZER

Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you gone through all your fittings with soapy water to check for leaks?

Rubber does dry out over time so replacement probably isn't a bad idea. And Arnott's airbags are the way to go.

Keep us updated on whether you the new bags help. And please make sure to post what you find to be the problem when you do.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
4wd Low

Have fun doing those plug wires . If you're gonna do the wires yourself expect it to take a little while since it isn't a 1,2,3, kinda thing. I just did them along with a ton of other stuff in my 03 Disco and DiscoMike was the only reason that it was a success. If you go at it on your own ask for help here first BEFORE you even begin...you won't be dissappointed! It's totally doable and not really that difficult just be sure to go into it fully informed! Did you get new plugs as well? Go with the Bosch Platinum Plus 4's they rock!

Last edited by krhodes; 08-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Drifting

A follow up to my upgrades: I had the arnott bags, OME steering stabalizer, billstein shocks front and rear, Magnacore 8mm wires, spark plugs, and a greasable front drive shaft installed today. It cost me $ 350.00 labor for the above installation. Last week I had my cooling system drained and refilled ($199). My mechanic ran out of time today so he was unable to drain and refill my brake system, I will get that done next week.

As per the sagging rear end.............no more sag . we found that both bags were slightly leaking. The drivers side was leaking worse than the passenger side.

As per the the new billstein shocks...... The ride is far more firm than I anticipated, I would assume this is because my bags were leaking, and my Origional shocks were worn.

OME steering.............made alot of difference because my old damper was pretty much worn out.

Plugs and new wires, really cant tell any difference. My truck ran very very well prior to this upgrade.

drive shaft...........Im leaving on vacation at the end of the month and didnt want my non-greasable front shaft comming up through my floor board on vacation or tearing my tranny out so I think it was a good uprade as well.

Thanks for all your help on the forum, ive learned alot about rovers reading through all the threads.

GODSDOZER

Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a very reasonable labor cost!