Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   New guy here, help with purchase :bow: (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/new-guy-here-help-purchase-bow-92361/)

Daytoman 11-30-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by CollieRover (Post 671383)

Buy a tool to monitor temps before you buy any DII. Seeing at what temp the engine runs is the single most important thing you can do. If it gets to 210 walk away immediately. You want it holding 204 or less in traffic or highway. Up a hill it may go higher, but should come down.

Can you guys point me in the direction of said tool? I’m an earnest buyer, so I don’t mind getting one.

Daytoman 11-30-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mr. choodles (Post 671401)
You will drop another $5K into this car easy. A 15 year Disco basically needs lots of the stuff re-done. Think:

- Front driveshaft
- Suspension
- Brakes (you've noted it already)
- Cooling system (all hoses, water pump)

Guarantee that you'll have to find/fix water leaks too, as plastic cowling and other rubber/plastic items may crack with age. My advice is get the best car you can afford and then prepare to spend some more $$$.

Yeah that’s the whole thing, like mentioned above, do I spend it now or later...do I get the 04 with CDL or Put CDL in the 03 later, oh and risk not finding a 7 seater or hold out indefinitely and risk many other factors? LOL!!! I know this is all petty 1rst world problems but it’s an annoying conundrum for none the less.

On the 03, she just had the front drive shaft done. She had a debacle on the cooling system as she took it in for service to get the system checked and serviced but they didn’t flush the system like she asked. They also didnt change the oil pan gasket like she asked and paid for..but that’s another story....so its leaking oil there. Yes, she was upfront about the brakes. Not sure on the suspension. One of the sun roofs leak, which she sealed up temporarily, so that would have to be addressed.
Seems like #1 priority in buying the 03 is that I will need to test and be sure of the running temp is holding 204 and 20lbs of pressure for at least 15 mins?

Daytoman 11-30-2018 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by The Deputy (Post 671375)
Be sure to go on an extensive road test (and listen closely to the engine for any type of ticking or knocking) and check frame closely for rust (especially at cats and rear section behind rear axle.

04 comes with CDL already, big plus in my opinion.

Brian.

Yes I will road test it if I re-enter that deal. I did see and hear a 1 minute video of the 03 running and it purred nicely. The only thing is that I could hear a very slight whistle. I couldn’t get the longer video of the engine to load but I was able to attach a short clip here.

Daytoman 11-30-2018 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trimmed that minute long video down to 18 seconds and it will upload. Take a listen if you want.

CollieRover 11-30-2018 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Daytoman (Post 671411)

Yeah that’s the whole thing, like mentioned above, do I spend it now or later...do I get the 04 with CDL or Put CDL in the 03 later, oh and risk not finding a 7 seater or hold out indefinitely and risk many other factors? LOL!!! I know this is all petty 1rst world problems but it’s an annoying conundrum for none the less.

On the 03, she just had the front drive shaft done. She had a debacle on the cooling system as she took it in for service to get the system checked and serviced but they didn’t flush the system like she asked. They also didnt change the oil pan gasket like she asked and paid for..but that’s another story....so its leaking oil there. Yes, she was upfront about the brakes. Not sure on the suspension. One of the sun roofs leak, which she sealed up temporarily, so that would have to be addressed.
Seems like #1 priority in buying the 03 is that I will need to test and be sure of the running temp is holding 204 and 20lbs of pressure for at least 15 mins?

yes, you want to make sure it is holding a good temp. Also, check the coolant level before and after test drive. Bad HG’s are common.

The Deputy 12-01-2018 05:11 AM

Can't play video, but you want to drive this rover at least twenty minutes, and make sure it is up to temperature. Like mentioned, checking fluids before and after. Take a good whiff of the exhaust on start up and after running to temp, too. You don't want to smell any sweetness in the exhaust. Where are you located, this would help determine whether or not the frame would be rusted away.
Brian.

CollieRover 12-01-2018 07:07 AM

Any auto parts store will have obdII tools. You can choose to get a scan tool similar to what mechanics use or a Ultra or scan gauge type thing.

Personally, I have the scangauge, works fine, but the ultra gauge has more functionality to my understanding, and if I did it again I would buy the ultra. I would prefer a Bluetooth tool, but I have an iPhone, and haven’t found one that will work with it, but all I have done is scan amazon.

These are not bad tools to have no matter what you drive.

Take your time, don’t buy either under pressure, because I always buy the first car I find. Can’t help myself.

Daytoman 12-01-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Deputy (Post 671450)
Can't play video, but you want to drive this rover at least twenty minutes, and make sure it is up to temperature. Like mentioned, checking fluids before and after. Take a good whiff of the exhaust on start up and after running to temp, too. You don't want to smell any sweetness in the exhaust. Where are you located, this would help determine whether or not the frame would be rusted away.
Brian.

Thanks! In my part of the world, rust is not a huge issue but I will stay on the lookout.
I wish you guys could hear that video. No ticking at all.

Daytoman 12-01-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by CollieRover (Post 671454)
Any auto parts store will have obdII tools. You can choose to get a scan tool similar to what mechanics use or a Ultra or scan gauge type thing.

Personally, I have the scangauge, works fine, but the ultra gauge has more functionality to my understanding, and if I did it again I would buy the ultra. I would prefer a Bluetooth tool, but I have an iPhone, and haven’t found one that will work with it, but all I have done is scan amazon.

These are not bad tools to have no matter what you drive.

Take your time, don’t buy either under pressure, because I always buy the first car I find. Can’t help myself.

Thank you, Ill start checking around.
Im trying hard to take my time. I cant help feeling that I need to pounce right away. LOL! Ive been pretty lucky in buying older vehicles in the past. Sometimes Ive jumped right on it, sometimes I took my time. But Ive also had some regrets on a few Ive misssed, Oh well, what can you do.

Im going to go look at a pretty nice 01 that just popped up. Asking $2500 with 101K miles. Looks in good shape but missing the front bumper.

Daytoman 12-01-2018 10:03 AM

I found the Ultra Gauge and ScanGauge II on Amazon and Ebay. The Ultra is a little better deal. Do I need a certain plug to use on the Disco II? I imagine all the OBD ports are the same.

Is there any other folks with preferences of one of these over the other?