Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here, help with purchase :bow:

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
Default New guy here, help with purchase :bow:

Hey everyone. I'm sure you guys get this a lot but.. I've been shopping around for awhile for a Disco II. Pickings are slim close to me (especially 7 seaters). However, I've found a blue 2003 SE7 with 153K on the clock. Its got a few extras on it, including a full factory front brush guard and aux lights, and a few other aftermarket trinkets including a roof rack (antiquated aftermarket stereo and DVD headrests). Body is straight but the paint has a few bad spots. Interior is in good shape, just a tad discolored and slight wear, no tears. Engine/trans runs good but it'll need brakes right away. Its been a daily driver for years. I can pick it up for under $3k. Should I take the plunge?
Id like to use it in the short term for an occasional daily driver to absorb some work miles away from my new truck. Eventually, I'd start putting some money into it as a trail/overland type rig. There is a very nice 04 (5 seats) with a lift and an in extremely good condition with 93k miles but its pushing $7k.

One more question...how hard is it to convert a 5 seater into a 7 seater? Not overly concerned about the rear A/C.

Thanks!

Last edited by Daytoman; 11-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I’d recommend before you buy, you rent the autozone coolant pressure tester and make sure it holds 20ftlbs pressure for 15 minutes, then take a good long test drive monitoring temps with an ultra gauge.

Or take it to a good rover shop.

The rear seats have been done, shoot Paul grant,or Mike sides at tar heel rover parts an email and ask how much you can get the pieces for. That will make a dent on the savings. If the 7k has everything you want, it may be the better buy, but a budget is a budget.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Be sure to go on an extensive road test (and listen closely to the engine for any type of ticking or knocking) and check frame closely for rust (especially at cats and rear section behind rear axle.

04 comes with CDL already, big plus in my opinion.

Brian.

Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I’d recommend before you buy, you rent the autozone coolant pressure tester and make sure it holds 20ftlbs pressure for 15 minutes, then take a good long test drive monitoring temps with an ultra gauge.

Or take it to a good rover shop.

The rear seats have been done, shoot Paul grant,or Mike sides at tar heel rover parts an email and ask how much you can get the pieces for. That will make a dent on the savings. If the 7k has everything you want, it may be the better buy, but a budget is a budget.
Thanks for the advice on the Coolant pressure tester. I do not have an ultra gauge so I cannot monitor the temps is with that.
This blue one is about two hours away for me so it’s just kind of a pain to get up there, check and test everything out and then possibly not by it. But I may still do it. For now I have kind of backed out of the deal but I still kind a hate to lose out on it in the back of my mind considering it is a seven seater ....then again I do not want a complete basket case within the next six months and I ended up being out way more money than just buying one thats more shored up.
The 04 that I found here in my town has everything I want and a little more… except the seven seat capacity. I’m not prepared to pay $7000 for it but I might shoot him a little lower offer and see if he takes it. I’m gonna go look at it on Sunday. Worst they could do is say no and I’m still looking.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman
This blue one is about two hours away for me so it’s just kind of a pain to get up there, check and test everything out and then possibly not by it.

....then again I do not want a complete basket case within the next six months and I ended up being out way more money ........
The conundrum of the potential Disco buyer. !!!

Listen man, if the market is as slim as you say it is, then you gotta decide...
Lose money, lose time, or a combination of both!

Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Depending on where you are 7000 may not be out of line, but it is really all about the engine. These are sleeved aluminum engines, if they are taken care of and have suffered no overheats, oil changes done regularly, and general maintenance kept up they are decent. If any one of those 3 has been ignored then you have a potential can of worms.
There are other issues but they are largely preventive:
  • driveshaft and rubber coupling, drive shaft should be replaced with a greasable unit
  • hard to move the low range/CDL lever can be simple to fix or abit of a pain
  • water entry to the cabin - sunroofs and windshield seal issue
  • ABS system codes - annoying to fix mostly

Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks for the advice on the Coolant pressure tester. I do not have an ultra gauge so I cannot monitor the temps is with that.
This blue one is about two hours away for me so it’s just kind of a pain to get up there, check and test everything out and then possibly not by it. But I may still do it. For now I have kind of backed out of the deal but I still kind a hate to lose out on it in the back of my mind considering it is a seven seater ....then again I do not want a complete basket case within the next six months and I ended up being out way more money than just buying one thats more shored up.
The 04 that I found here in my town has everything I want and a little more… except the seven seat capacity. I’m not prepared to pay $7000 for it but I might shoot him a little lower offer and see if he takes it. I’m gonna go look at it on Sunday. Worst they could do is say no and I’m still looking.
Buy a tool to monitor temps before you buy any DII. Seeing at what temp the engine runs is the single most important thing you can do. If it gets to 210 walk away immediately. You want it holding 204 or less in traffic or highway. Up a hill it may go higher, but should come down.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Converting from 5 to 7 seats is a relatively extensive undertaking since there are anchor points to install all over the place. Also, the seats are uncomfortable as hell once they're in.
And, should you ever be in an accident when someone is injured while sitting in those seats, you're probably on the hook for it since the VIN will show that they weren't fitted from the factory.

Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You will drop another $5K into this car easy. A 15 year Disco basically needs lots of the stuff re-done. Think:

- Front driveshaft
- Suspension
- Brakes (you've noted it already)
- Cooling system (all hoses, water pump)

Guarantee that you'll have to find/fix water leaks too, as plastic cowling and other rubber/plastic items may crack with age. My advice is get the best car you can afford and then prepare to spend some more $$$.

Daytoman (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dgi 07

The conundrum of the potential Disco buyer. !!!

Listen man, if the market is as slim as you say it is, then you gotta decide...
Lose money, lose time, or a combination of both!
I hear you on that, its why Ive gone back and forth all day long. Plus, I really want a 7 seater, but I also really want the CDL. I know it can be added to the 03 but its just money and time down the road..LOL!

Quick Reply: New guy here, help with purchase :bow: