Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to L.R. and have some ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to L.R. and have some ??

Hello all I havent bought it yet but I am getting close. I am selling my CJ and thinking about getting a 97 D1. It has a 1" "puck" lift, which will be coming out.It has some rot on the rear door jams and a bidy mount needs to be replaced. All this i can do.Theadd says it has all the typical L.R. problems. What might those be? I am pretty mechanical so Im not scare to do some work. Im not sure what the mileage is on it. The door locks are messed up and he says there is a trick to get them to lock. He says the tranny and tcase shift smooth.It doesnt burn oil but weeps it from the valve covers. All in all, from the pics, it looks to be a nice vehicle that would be doing double dutty with me,DD and weekend warrior,but nothing hard core. The price sems decent,$1500. I will go and look at it as soon as I sell myJeep. I would really like to get into a D1. Any help or sugestions as to what to look for would be appriciated. thanks
Kevin

Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: New to L.R. and have some ??

Common problems with DI's are bad ABS wheel senors, cruise control not working and in bad need of a good tune up.
The fix for the ABS is to pull the fuse under the hood and just not have it anymore. Thats what I did to my '97.
The cruise control not working is a vacum leak.
And the tune up is straight forward EXCEPT that you MUST use Magnecore plug wires.
And just so you know, you MUST use premium gas. No K&N air filters either.
Oh yeah, sun roofs that dont work is common also.
As for the door locks, bad door lock actuators. Another common problem as well as bad window regulators.
The bodypanels arealuminum.
Do you have a link to the truck that you can post?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

http://forum.neow.net/index.php?showtopic=81213

Those dont sound to bad for problems. The aluminum body was a shock. So I will have to get some aluminum sheets to do the two patches. I have been "lurking" on this forum doing some reading. I am ready for a good comfortable vehicle and I hope I found one.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

I would dump those tires. They are going to SUCK for a daily driver. Not to mention that they are bias ply not radials.
Other than that it all looks good, and for $1500 with 162,000 miles on it I would jump on it.
Even having to put $2,000 into its still a good deal.
As for the front end vibration I would have the u-joints looked at.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com
Check out the tech tips on AB's home page.
Also the engine is ALL aluminum. The t-case and transmission are as well.
These are great trucks and will last into the 300,000 mile range.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you also mechanical on body repair? I'm consider myself mechanical like yourself, but I'm far from a body guy. I canremove and replace body panels that are bolted in. When it comes to welding, that I don't do (I will learn one of these days)

The cancer in the door jams and body mounts would scare me away. Looks like that truck has lived ahard life in the NE snow area. You can only expect other rust spots through out the truck, the door jams and body mounts just happen to be the worst.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Actually I am getting pretty good at body repairs since my Jeep has taught me well. I am a welder by day so welding in the panels wont be a problem,neither will the body mount. I will be taking a trip up there to look at it first hand either later today or tomorrow. i will bring the camera along and post up some more pics. Thanks for the help so far
Kevin

Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Mudding

Dude snag it. The extras alone are worth that.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

It doesnt come with the extras.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nhwheelin
Actually I am getting pretty good at body repairs since my Jeep has taught me well. I am a welder by day so welding in the panels wont be a problem,neither will the body mount. I will be taking a trip up there to look at it first hand either later today or tomorrow. i will bring the camera along and post up some more pics. Thanks for the help so far
Kevin
In that case, do yourself a favor. Research the cost for replacementdoor jam and body mount. The replacement cost plus your time should be a factor when deciding on a vehicle. WhenI jumped head first into my first Disco, that was the biggest shocker I got through out the rebuild process. Just replacing brake rotors and pads can cost your $200-300 dollars for parts. Why,just because it's a LR. I've never price pads and rotors for a Expedition or Tahoe, but I can safely bet it's no where the cost for a LR.

My $0.02

Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Drifting

The mount and body work I am doing myself. I have a sheet of aluminum and some steel lates in various sizes downstairs. I know thts vehicle is going to be expensive to fix/replace. I am ready for it. I sunk alsmost $5000 into my CJ in 4 months. and I dont even have all the rot fixed but its time for that to go and make room for a LR

Quick Reply: New to L.R. and have some ??