Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:13 AM
|
Overlanding
Default New LR owner

Been a lurker for a while, thought I would become a member and join in the fun. I bought a 96' LR Disco back in March at a dealer in Wilmington. It's white with a roof rack, brush grill guard and while I don't know what kind of lift it has, it's still sitting 3 1/2 inches higher than the stock ride height posted on the sunvisor.

It had a really bad vibration when I test drove it but I figured that was going to be minor and it was (bad u-joint). The dealer was asking 3000 but I talked him down to 2500. It was a one owner vehicle, had full service records up to 120,000 miles (it was showing 174,324) and is in excellent condition inside and out with the exception of headliner and mirror. It's a manual drive, wish it was auto but for the price I'm happy.

The cruise works but the vacuum is a little weak and I need to work on the rear windshield wiper motor, it won't move unless u help it. Since I have bought it, the only thing I've done besides replacing the bad U-joint is sticking a set of Super Swamper IROK ND's on it in 245/75/16R that I got from Interco for $85 a piece. They are blemished but for the life of me I can't see where. They are a 10 ply tire which my tire guy says will beat the vehicle up but he never has ridden in one, the ride is still great! It has a bit of a howl but not bad. Since there is wind noise from the rack and soon to be a deeper exhaust noise from a flowmaster muffler it will fit right in.

I wish it had full lockers in the diffs but I can put up with it for now. I can't go some of the places my buddies can go because of ground clearance, the axles hang up but it articulates so much more that there are places they can't follow me, haha.

I'll go for now but just thought I would tell a little about my new toy. I have a 94 YJ Jeep and they both are a blast to drive but totally 2 different handling machines.

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:25 AM
Team Owner
Default RE: New LR owner

I just dont understand you guys with the super swampers, big lifts and lockers and noisy exhaust...but hey, its your thing so go for it.
Gladyou like your trk. And it sounds like you got a good deal on it too. Have fun with it and welcome to our little forum.

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:46 AM
|
Overlanding

This thing is just a toy for me to go playing in, I have 5 other vehicles, and I don't want the exhaust LOUD, just a nice low rumble.

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:53 AM
Team Owner

"WHAT?? I CANT HEAR YOU!!" lol, I'm just messing with ya.

Old 06-22-2008 | 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Why are lockers frowned upon

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Locker are not fround upon, I was just giving him a hard time.
You only need lockers if you are doing searious rock crawling or mud bogging in mud so deep it will swallow your trk.

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling

lol well i'm not going to do that, we get a lot of snow here. Would be the only reason if i got it, but will wait till i get through this winter to see if its wanted.

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:31 PM
Team Owner

You wont need lockers for the snow. All you need is a descent set of rubber. Remeber, these ARE the most cabable world renound best 4x4xfar, all you need is the right rubber for the job and alittle skill and you can go anywhere.
I have a set of Michilin LTX allseaons on my trk and I can go anyplace that a Jeep with Goodyear Wrangler mudtire can go. I might have to work harder to do it but I can do it.

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:37 PM
Team Owner

Just to give you a idea of what I am talking about, we went to Grayling Christmas '07, we took the kids sleding, we drove snowmobile trails to get to the sledding hills. Thats right, snowmobile trails. Two miles to the hill. We had a blast. The snowmobilers were wondering how in the hell we got out there with a SUV.
It was great.

Old 06-22-2008 | 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Thats awesome!!! Thanks for the story

Quick Reply: New LR owner